Cheney's KO of Obama

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bugscoe, May 22, 2009.

1. The 10 punches Dick Cheney landed on Barack Obama's jaw

"The spectacle of two duelling speeches with a mile of each other in downtown Washington was extraordinary. I was at the Cheney event and watched Obama's address on a big screen beside the empty lectern that the former veep stepped behind barely two minutes after his adversary had finished.

So who won the fight? (it's hard to use anything other than a martial or pugilistic metaphor). Well, most people are on either one side or the other of this issue and I doubt today will have prompted many to switch sides.

But the very fact that Obama chose to schedule his speech (Cheney's was announced first) at exactly the same time as the former veep was a sign of some weakness..."

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/toby_h...nches_dick_cheney_landed_on_barack_obamas_jaw

2. I listened to both speeches. Obama gave an elegant, considered speech. Cheney's speech did neither himself nor his party any favors. With luck the contrast will continue.

3. Tom B

Tom B

Obama's speech was all style and no substance. Cheney's speech was all substance and not much style.

4. Cheney's speech had neither style nor substance. Even recognized security experts could not side with Cheney's omissions, exaggerations and misstatements:

http://www.gazette.com/articles/bush-54624-administration-cheney.html

5. Obama always gives elegant speeches. It's just his speeches never say anything.

They're like viewing abstract paintings. You're never really sure what the artist is trying to say. But damn, he sure used pretty colors!

6. Tom B

Tom B

Obama's reason for closing GITMO is style over substance.

8. No. His reason is all about principle. The majority of your countrymen agree.

9. Tom B

Tom B

What is the principle?

10. fhl

fhl

The US Senate just voted yesterday 90-6 in favor of keeping Gitmo open, <b>Norman</b>.

#10     May 22, 2009