Cheney Calls Obama Out

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Apr 20, 2009.

1. http://drudgereport.com/flashcm.htm

Cheney Calls for Legal Memos to be Declassified
    Mon Apr 20 2009 16:20:53 ET

In a two part interview airing tonight and tomorrow night on FOX News Channel’s Hannity (9-10PM ET), former Vice President Dick Cheney shared his thoughts on the CIA memos that were recently declassified and also revealed his request to the CIA to declassify additional memos that confirm the success of the Bush administration’s interrogation tactics:

CHENEY:

“One of the things that I find a little bit disturbing about this recent disclosure is they put out the legal memos, the memos that the CIA got from the Office of Legal Counsel, but they didn't put out the memos that showed the success of the effort. And there are reports that show specifically what we gained as a result of this activity. They have not been declassified.”

“I formally asked that they be declassified now. I haven't announced this up until now, I haven't talked about it, but I know specifically of reports that I read, that I saw that lay out what we learned through the interrogation process and what the consequences were for the country.”

“And I've now formally asked the CIA to take steps to declassify those memos so we can lay them out there and the American people have a chance to see what we obtained and what we learned and how good the intelligence was, as well as to see this debate over the legal opinions.”

Developing...

2. How good the intelligence was???

You mean like the intelligence that Cheney and Bush used as the basis for determining that Iraq was an "imminent" threat to the United States and we needed to invade?

News flash: No one cares what Dick Cheney says anymore.

3. dsq

dsq

didnt scooter libby get sentenced to prison for covering for him?Then bush pardoned libby cuz he wouldnt keep his mouth shut if he had to stay in there for 24hrs.Lets see all the paperwork on that scam.These guys have unlimited hubris.The guy is delusional and nuts to be challenging other people on cia scandals.Kookoo.I guess he doesnt have an army of lawyers telling him not to talk about anything.Ego trumping intelligence.

4. "We have to defend our future from these predators of the 21st century. They feed on the free flow of information and technology. They actually take advantage of the freer movement of people, information and ideas.

And they will be all the more lethal if we allow them to build arsenals of nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them. We simply cannot allow that to happen.

There is no more clear example of this threat than Saddam Hussein's Iraq. His regime threatens the safety of his people, the stability of his region and the security of all the rest of us. "

This statement is from Bill Clinton, so I guess you can't really blame Bush and Cheney for it.

See Landis82, you learn something everyday. From here on out, I expect you to study history and be informed about the issues before you put out such mindless rubbish.

5. Bush didn't pardon Libby.

6. dsq

dsq

stupid me,with a magic wand in his hand he overturned the CONVICTION!The King has spoken!Now thats a real messiah!

7. Presidents can't overturn convictions. They can only deal with the punishment.

Maybe if he had gotten a few million like Clinton got from Marc Rich then he may have been a little more flexible.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...exvp_dick_cheney_outraged_president_bush.html

8. To most readers, commutation of a jail sentence is as good as a pardon, but it is true that they are legally distinct.

9. Commutations deal with punishment, pardon overturns convictions (but not its record)

Libby wanted full pardon but did not get it. Libby is still a convicted felon with all the negative consequences, just without jail time.

10. The administration has been issuing a torrent of leaks that the interrogations turned up nothing useful. That was designed to give them cover to release the torture memos, which they wanted to do to appease their nutcase netroots base. Of course, the mainstream media lapped it up, as they do all things obama. They probably counted on the former administration being too principled to say anything or that the media would just ignore them. Now Cheney has forced their hand.

Five former CIA chiefs today criticized Obama for releasing the torture memos.

#10     Apr 20, 2009