Cheney and Free Speech

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Avid_Consumer, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Sorry, this is truly off-topic, but I think we should try to guess which member iIii really is. Obviously someone with a long history here, posting under a new alias. I am seriously considering zEvader, using the occasional deliberate spelling or usage error.

#21     Oct 10, 2006
  2. I say no. This guy was clearly bsmeter.

#22     Oct 10, 2006
  3. but is it really a "lie" to state things that are so preposterous that no rational person could reasonably believe they are true?

stating that cheney would not resort to harsh tactics to silence critics is more like proclaiming that the moon really is made of cheese, and repeating it over and over. sort of like wmd's now in syria and iraq going just great except for a few desperado al-qaeda types hanging on for the hell of it.

it seems hard to call it a lie, more like babbling foolishness ad nauseum in an effort to drive opposing arguments away out of exasperation.

#23     Oct 10, 2006
  4. Where does anyone get this phrase, "free speech?" It's NOT in the Bill of Rights.

There's institutional "free speech." Freedom of the press, religious freedom, right to assemble and implicitly free speak while gathered. There's nothing about free speech between individuals. Hence Mike Moore, Maureen Dowd and Molly Ivens are on the streets, presumably un-IRS audited and printing whatever their moonbat minds desire while a guy who called a dead man by a racial epitaph on a message board may be sitting in jail for five years in the U.K.

Try as Joe Girardi did to tell your boss "fuck you." Or compliment the next girl you pass with "nice tits", or say "oink oink" to a policeman as he chases an "n-word" down the street. Yell "miss
    it" to Tiger while he's in his back swing. Yell "Satan rules" in a church, or "Maurie sucked" at his funeral, attend a meeting or party uninvited and see what happens.

I'm sure everyone here has been at a function where someone we despise is holding court. None of us would be as indecent as to publicly hound that person. Yet politicians and athletes are confronted incessantly. Cheney, Clinton and Nixon just happen to subscribe to the NBA/NFL way of treating unruly "fans". Either beat the crap out of him or arrest him. I'd be the same way. If I was VP I'd have a welterweight around who's "specialty" would be breaking some moonbat's jaw every couple of months.......

#24     Oct 10, 2006

5. Good point. Its amazing what is , and isnt in the fine print, where ever you live.

The rest of what you said, well.........
    breaking jaws is easy.
    Tonnes of people have that specialty.
    Their called "criminals".

Why the hell would you choose a welterweight though, or did you have someone in mind?

#25     Oct 10, 2006
  6. pabst, in this hypothetical scenario, wouldn't you be a stronger leader if you could respond to criticism with a logically or intellectually more compelling position? a democratic leader is supposed to represent a majority right?

breaking jaws is ... draconian. that's so saddam lol. why don't you just dip your critics in a vat of anti-moonbat acid? (or have your secret service arrest them)

#26     Oct 10, 2006
  7. in retrospect i think i'm being unfair. you're right and i am over-eager to call spades. i don't know your overall position on free speech, but willing to take you at face value there.

imo it's too bad our politicians don't err on the side of caution in these issues. our executive branch should offer to openly and willingly field even the harshest criticisms with the full weight of the constituency they represent

why arrest or exclude anyone for non-violent public dissent?

#27     Oct 10, 2006
  8. Avid consumer, most of the people causing 'public" style media coverable dissagreement, are stooges.

But, beleive what you like.

#28     Oct 10, 2006
  9. i'm indifferent to whether i find the protest legit, or protester to be a stooge. this is just basic protection of 1st amendment rights

#29     Oct 10, 2006
  10. Nice theory, nice soundbite, decent concept overall.
    Except there stooge's.
    Whether they know it , or not.

#30     Oct 10, 2006