Check this guy out..

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dr.Greenback, Mar 6, 2007.

1. nitro

nitro

I saw a segment on him on the sciQ channel. The most amazing thing to me about Daniel is that he is high functioning. This means he can try to explain how he does what he does, which would be a huge boon to science of the brain.

Most savants are essentially dysfunctional.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=daniel+tammet&btnG=Search

#11     Apr 12, 2009
  2. My dad was autistic, back in those days they didn't necessarily know what that was but they knew to use them for whatever they could do. He was functioning and actually a pretty nice guy, people liked him. We would get him to guide us when we loaded trucks, he would tell us what to put in, in what order, which way... when we got done it had all gone perfectly smoothly and you literally could not put a playing card in between anything in the trucks... some of those trucks could barely move they were so jammed with stuff sometimes.. He had one employer that was his school buddy from grammar school on and knew his talents, he always got dad to help him lay out a new manufacturing floor or whatever they were doing and he paid him a huge bonus every year, just staggering sometimes. Most of them don't earn at all.. He used to read the papers but all he read were the prices of things, he tracked prices in his head, I really think he might have made a good trader if he knew what that was...

#12     Apr 13, 2009