Check out this Dell 30" LCD WQXGA

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jorgeamado88, Aug 28, 2006.

1. DannoXYZ

DannoXYZ

2. GTS

GTS

I think looking at cost on strictly on $ per square inch or per pixel is fundamentally flawed. Using that reasoning I'm sure that a bunch of 15 or 17" lcd's is going to end up as the "best value".

Of course that totally ignores the cost of all the video cards you are going to need to support all those monitors and the hassle of dealing with them all. And if you want to add more screen real estate later and you've maxed out your PC then its going to either be impossible or you have to replace video cards that support single monitors with ones that support dual monitors.

I'm not saying that the 30" is a good deal but you need to look at everything (including the distraction of the monitor frames when trying to use multiple monitors as one large workspace).

Personally I think buying an monitor smaller than 20 or 21" right now is a mistake and any trader who really needs a lot of screen space shouldn't go smaller then 24".

#22     Sep 1, 2006
  3. i'm doing search on these monitors as well

2x24's are kind of expensive (dell). i'm currently looking at 4x20's as a replacement

samsung 204b seems like the best one so far in the market. dell's unwillingness to drop their 20 inch prices make me think 204b is the better deal/hardware ratio

the 204b can be rotated and turned verticle (like dell)... i would imagine my setup to be 4 of these standing vertically to save space.

you mentioned video card problems & difficulties. i don't see that as a problem especially if you are buying the same brand of video cards. i'm very loyal to nvidia, b/c of their all-in-one driver suite, which requires 1 copy of the driver installed to work on my 2 nvidia video cards. i believe winxp pro supports upto 8 monitors (please check on it)

buyer beware: currently, there are alot of 20inch LCD's sporting 1400x1050 resolution... they are really cheap... and you get less screen real estate for the price. these 20inch monitors has the same resolution as my 14inch dell inspiron 600m SXVGA+ 1400x1050 laptop. that's horrible!

and you should also beware that if you want more screen real estate for your charts, you should buy NONE-WIDESCREEN 20inch LCD's... wide screen LCD's have 1680x1050 screen resolution.. that is less than a standard size 20inch LCD, which has 1600x1200 screen resolution. that's almost a 10% difference in space. i would suggest you to pay up for the right equipment

#23     Sep 1, 2006