Cheapo Dell Monitors!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by praetorian2, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Rigel

Rigel

I may be mistaken but I was at my friendly neighborhood computer superstore (Fry's) 2 weeks ago and they were selling 15" flat panels for $240.
    Gateway has 15" for $379 and 17" for $674.
    Also, I hear the best performance is from a digital video card feeding a digital LCD.
    Both analog and digital LCD's are available.

#11     Jan 10, 2002
  2. nitro

nitro

"I may be mistaken but I was at my friendly neighborhood computer superstore (Fry's) 2 weeks ago and they were selling 15" flat panels for $240. "

Be careful - you _CAN_ get a bad flat panel monitor. The things to look for a dot pitch, brightness, refresh rates, warrantee on the panel, etc.

I bought a 15" Sys technologies monitor at Cotsco for $299 for my wife. Although it is a good flat panel, I noticed that unless it is on a the "right" video card, it responsiveness was poor when scrolling text. For static text, like looking at quotes, or static graphics (Charts,) it was pretty good.

"Gateway has 15" for $379 and 17" for $674. "

This is expensive by comparison to the Sys Technology monitors of the same size, but then again, I do not know the specs of these monitors. Without them, it is senseless to just give prices.

"Also, I hear the best performance is from a digital video card feeding a digital monitor. "

_WITH_OUT_A_DOUBT_

nitro

#12     Jan 10, 2002
  3. Rigel, why I started this whole section to begin with is that the dell lcd monitor was still $100 less than the price at the local store, and I know that price is pretty cheap. Also these dell monitors have the standard Dell warranty, and I trust dell products almost no matter what. I got them yesterday in the mail, and I already have one plugged in on my secondary pc. I really love it. The color is great, and I don't have to squint to see it even though I'm 2 feet away. I had trouble reading the 15" ones before because my vision is poor, and I find trading uncomfortable with glasses on.

#13     Jan 12, 2002