Cheapest stock market in 12 years?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by a529612, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Tradables are priced the way they are for a reason.

That means the general public at large does not see the stock market worth it's current value.

Do not forget that you need someone else to buy at a higher price to push the price higher.

If the general public are not chasing the stock market higher, most funds will not perform.

2. S2007S

S2007S

It will be even cheaper when its trading under 13,000 again....

3. [snip]some of the biggest fund managers say they're ready to load up on shares of technology, energy and industrial companies.

That's a riot!

[translation]We're ready to rotate and our NAV won't drop a cent.

4. thats on peak earnings. when the e in the pe falls they wont look so cheap.

5. Dow 16000 easily

6. Div_Arb

Div_Arb

Bravo! You are the first person I have seen on ET to grasp this idea. Perhaps the marekts appear "cheap" because earnings are going to drop significantly in the future...

7. Bravo?

If you look at this thread, you'll see a consensus of bear, bear, bear, bear (something like that).

Forget discussion on support/resistance levels (because I am afraid to buy right at these prices considering technicals, calendar timing, and unanswered questions [financial's earnings and fed?]), but the valuation/cheapness of the market is an unanswered question.

Let me point out two ideas for the bullish case:

1) yield curve went from flat/inverted to historically normal. This means by typical definitions (lets put aside ideas that asia was supressing the long end of the yield curve) the bond market is NO longer predicting a recession in the future, and once was. So does that imply that we have hit the 'recessionary' period (in relative terms)? [ie we do have a housing recession, but not a net GDP recession]

2) 10 yr yields are hovering around 4.5%, and high quality risk spreads are not more than 10-20 basis points over levels 3 months ago (before the credit crisis). This mean stock buybacks still make much sense. A company with a 10% earnings yield can borrow at 5-6% and increase their earnings by 4% on whatever amount they buy back, allowing for a little leverage. This is a bullish pressure.

Despite that, maybe all the bears (ET consensus) are right and the consumer is toast, and earnings have peaked, and #1 and #2 are lousy points.

8. Div_Arb

Div_Arb

It is difficult to make predicitions, especially when they involve the future. The fact that you are so 'absolute' in your case is laughable at best. Why try to predict that which you do not know? Just react my friend - that's all you can do!

#10     Sep 4, 2007