Cheapest source for real time data and Level II

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Adobian, May 11, 2006.

1. Adobian

Adobian

I haven't been trading for five years and I am looking to get back to it.

I want to retrain myself for a year.

I am trying Cybertrader.com's software for papertrading right now. That's what I used extensively 6 years ago, the best there is. These days, I heard that IB is better, but it seems IB"s software is not as sophisticated.

Recently, I got a copy of Metastock and I am thinking of subscribing to a real time datafeed to use for a year or so. Anyone could recommend one ? Thanks . It seems Metastock works with Esignal. Anything cheaper that Esignal ? IQ ? Or should I open an account at some broker and use the real time data for free ? E*trade maybe ?

It seems people are trading futures a bit more than 6 years ago. Back then, the gap was in 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 etc. These days, they are in cents. Wondering if people are really profitable.

I am thinking of maybe doing swing trading and save the time for a real job, probably second shift, so I can monitor the market in the morning.

2. There are plenty of affordable options available. If you have a broker that provides a good datafeed, be it CyberTrader, Interactive Brokers, MB Trading or a number of others, you can use them for the datafeed with QuoteTracker (as well as other 3rd party software).

For subscription datafeeds, IQFeed can be had for $20/month (QT Users) + exchange fees for equities. Another $20 if you want real-time futures.