Cheaper Futures contract

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by jokepie, Oct 12, 2010.

1. jokepie

jokepie

My account size is arnd 10K, trading YM with 20tick stop on each trade limits how many trade i can do to keep my Daily loss around 150-200.
    If i can find something that has lower tick value i might be able to adjust my trading strategy better.

#11     Oct 12, 2010
  2. not to mention - is it liquid? contracts with wide bid-ask (or prone to a lot of slippage) are no bargain.

#12     Oct 12, 2010
  3. canola oil i like $2 a tick, I think..

#13     Oct 12, 2010
  4. chartman

chartman

Both comments are correct but the OP wanted to know the contracts with ticks under $5. The exchanges will let you know the 'volatility' of a contract by the required margin.

#14     Oct 12, 2010
  5. might be cheaper at walmart
    lol :p

#15     Oct 12, 2010
  6. jokepie

jokepie

Thank you so much guys... it really helps..
    I replied some with "Quote" options wonder why they do not show up here... sorry if i PM's accidentally..
    :cool:

#16     Oct 12, 2010
  7. MGJ

MGJ

Consider the STIR (short term interest rate) futures at Euronext-LIFFE.

For example the EuroSwiss contract ( http://bit.ly/azpzXk ) has a minimum tick of 25 Swiss Francs, approx USD 26.12, and over the last twelve months its high-low range has been less than fifty ticks. It moves slowly and smoothly compared to other futures.

Set up your software to calculate the 100-day ATR, convert that from points to dollars, and print it out. Run this on a list of 150 or 200 futures contracts all around the world. You'll find that the STIRs come out at the very bottom; a one-lot position in STIRs has lower dollar volatility than other futures contracts.

[​IMG]

#17     Oct 13, 2010