Cheaper Futures contract

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by jokepie, Oct 12, 2010.

1. jokepie

jokepie

Is there any Contract (Any - i.e Index, commodities etc.) that has a tick valuse less that $5 ?

thanks for your help!

Guru

2. Picaso

Picaso

3. chartman

chartman

There are several on the NYMEX. Heating Oil, Unlead Gas and propane has $4.20 ticks. Other contracts with $5 tick values are palladium and platinum. The Mini Dow(YM) has a $5 tick value and trade on CME/CBOT electronic platform.

4. Shagi

Shagi

But it doesn't necessarily mean those contracts are less volatile or risky than the ones with $12.50 tick or $25 tick. The OP needs to do some more homework. Happy hunting:D

5. Indeed. Just because the ES contract is $12.5/tick and the YM contract is $5/tick does not mean that the ES is 2.5 times more "expensive". Perhaps what the OP meant to ask was "which contract has the lowest margin requirement?".

6. Would be better to look at the daily range expressed in $ to get an idea of possible profit and loss

7. jokepie

jokepie

8. jokepie

jokepie

I am OK with YM @ $5, however was looking for something that is as volatile however loss per tick is less. Therefore giving me freedom to assume lower loss per trade and take more trades perday but keem Daily loss limit the same.

9. JPope

JPope

How about looking at what you'd actually be trading, like contract sizes?

#10     Oct 12, 2010