Cheaper financing than IB's margin rates?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by HockeyPlayer, Mar 2, 2020.

1. qwerty11

qwerty11

tws > symbol > combo orders (smart) > box (strategy)

in the first window you should pick the highest strike first (that's a bit counter-intuitive)

#21     Mar 4, 2020
  2. When filled at the bid price shown in the picture 1977.52, this order implies a 6% interest rate for the $200k box, while when filled at the 1995.22 limit you get a more decent 1.24% interest rate but still almost twice the 3 month t-bill rate.

Are there any real chances to actually get a fill for this 1995.22 limit or higher, for 1997.5 (which would be get you the 3 month t-bill rate)? What is a reasonable rate expectation?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    #22     Mar 5, 2020
  3. Sig

Sig

I've realized a nickle off the mid as long as the bid and ask are solid (during normal market hours with no odd on-off bids/asks in the stack).

#23     Mar 5, 2020
  4. In order to calculate the rate, can you please post the execution date, the execution price, the width of the box and the expiration date? TIA.

BTW, mid price implies 1.09% interest for $200k / May.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    #24     Mar 5, 2020
  5. Sig

Sig

Sorry, don't post that kind of information. Just give it a try for a short dated box; at some point you gotta just dive in and get some first hand experience.

#25     Mar 5, 2020
  6. I understand. Can you at least share the interest rate you got?

#26     Mar 5, 2020
  7. Sig

Sig

I actually sold rather than bought and got something like 50 basis points above the equivalent Treasury. For reference last summer was the last time I used this.

#27     Mar 5, 2020
  8. Thanks. The 1.09% I have mentioned earlier is 0.472% above the today 3 month t-bill rate. Seems quite similar with what you are saying.

#28     Mar 5, 2020
  9. Sig

Sig

Yeah, sounds about right.

#29     Mar 5, 2020
  10. tonyf

tonyf

Risks on the side, does shorting a box make economical sense compared to a loan? It seems only pros with seats on the exchange can manage to make it profitable ....aligator trade for the rest of us.

I am more interested in shorting short date treasuries if anyone has worked out of it works?
    Unlike OP, all monies will stay with IB to fund the purchase of securities.

#30     Mar 8, 2020