Cheap Broker

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by pacifictrader, May 23, 2006.

1. Opra

Opra

Does it mean that if I do Not subscribe to any market data, IB will not charge $10 even if my account is inactive for the month, let's say?

#11     May 24, 2006
  2. Also,

If I have around 30k in the account, but will only use it on occasion, is there a money market or something I can keep the uninvested money in, earning interest, while not being used?

#12     May 24, 2006
  3. ids

ids

#13     May 24, 2006
  4. Ids thanks to the reply. 4.54% is an excellent rate. Maybe I'll shift some of my cd money into IB. I have two win 98 computers that can't be upgraded, so I am told. Hate to buy another one.

#14     May 24, 2006
  5. I believe your trading losses, which will be cause by trading with the outdated and unstable windows 98, and hardware not even capable of running a 21st century operating system, will greatly exceed the cost of buying a reasonable computer.

#15     May 24, 2006
  6. ids

ids

Microsoft does not support Win 98. This OS always was an abomination. Despite I would not recommend it, I know that some of our customers still use Win 98.

#16     May 24, 2006
  7. alanm

alanm

With all due respect for ids, and the (surprising) official answer, I believe you will have a difficult time with tech support at IB (or anywhere else for that matter) running Win98. It's a terrible, unstable, unsupportable, unsupported OS, and those guys are human.

New OS and new machines are cheap, and are far outshadowed even by what you pay for your data per year as a pro. If you have Win98 apps that can't be upgraded, continue to run them on the Win98 machines and get a new machine for trading.

#17     May 24, 2006
  8. My son is looking for a new broker and he wants to know if you can write checks on your IB account. Thanks again for all your replies.

#18     May 24, 2006
  9. ids

ids

Checks are OK but it takes a long time to process. Electronic transfer is much better.

#19     May 24, 2006
  10. alanm

alanm

I think the question meant writing checks that clear against (i.e. withdraw from) your IB account. The answer is no. You can only withdraw by requesting a wire, ACH/EFT, or paper check, in order of speed.

#20     May 24, 2006