Cheap and small desktop PC for trading?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by a529612, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Looking for something small, quiet, stable and with reasonable room for expansion. Any suggestions? Should I get a barebone or get one off the shelf. My budget is under $500 for the whole setup excluding monitor. Thanks!

2. rcj

rcj

What kind of expansion would you have in mind?? If it were me i would find out how many USB slots are present. And, i sure would want to know how many available expansion slots are on the mother board. Can more ram be added?? sometimes..not!
    I would also bet the power supply is minimal and probably not very good quality. what about a tele modem for back up comm?

... rcj

3. Damn, I wish I would have seen this yesterday. I would jump on that price for for Dell duo core!

What do you guys think of this config just for charting and/or order entry

HP

AMD Athalon 64 3200 2 ghz HT ( is this enough HP to trade with? I think so, but I know everything is duo core so that's why I ask) I have no intention of going to Vista if you are wondering.

1 gig of DDR ram

160 gig 7200 rpm HD

ATI 9600 Radeon Graphics, I believe this isn't onboard video, I hope atleast

3 Year parts and labor

with XP Pro

for about $400 after rebates. I know, I know, but I have never been screwed on rebates.

also with 17" LCD monitor, I will just give that to my mom for Christmas or keep as a bu to my 19" s for trading.

Right now I run everything off of my Dell 3.2 ghz HT, 1.5 gig of ram, 160 gig 7200 HD, and sometimes I spike to 100% CPU so that's why I am looking at splitting up stuff.