Cheap 17" KOGi LCD at Best Buy... $299 AR

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gnome, Mar 16, 2003.

1. FYI, I got my rebate check today for the kogi monitor. Anyone else?
    I'll deposit it tomorrow and should know later this week if it clears :eek:

#11     May 20, 2003
  2. My problem with mail in rebates is that I never remember to send them in. If I could go back and get all the rebate money for stuff I should have sent in I could probably open my own monitor manufacturing plant.

I always assume I am paying the pre-rebate price, then if I remember to send it in and happen to get a check, it is a bonus. Kinda like price improvement on the NYSE. :)

#12     May 20, 2003
  3. chisel

chisel

I bought 2 Samsung 15" lcds from BBY in Jan. '02. I never did receive the rebates from BBY. Now I avoid BBY and rebates if I can get a similar item for close to the same price (without rebates) elsewhere.

I never did understand why companies offer rebates. Why don't they just lower the price!

#13     May 20, 2003
  4. gnome

gnome

Perhaps BBY's customer service varies regionally, but I've got nothing but good to say about them here in Denver.

They don't "just lower the price" because if they sell at a higher price then rebate... (a) they not only have those who don't collect the rebate for one reason or another, and (b) it keeps the "top line" looking better even when the rebate is paid. Wall Street is sensitive to that sort of thing especially now... deflation concerns and all.

BTW, I got the full $250 rebate on my KOGi from January. Check cleared AND monitor still working perfectly.

#14     May 20, 2003
  5. there was a report tonight on Chicago network TV (right after the made-for-tv movie Martha, Inc.), about the rebate scam. I already stayed away frm rebates out of inherent cynicism. After this segment it seems obvious that the rebate "business" is indeed a scam, and BBY and the like are at the top of the list.

Ice:cool:

#15     May 20, 2003
  6. gnome

gnome

I didn't see it. Can you give a thumbnail synopsis? TIA

#16     May 20, 2003
  7. Here's the link to the Channel 5 website and their web synopsis of that report:

http://www.nbc5.com/news/2213144/detail.html

Have never done the BBY rebates, but I've had a bunch of rebates for different things for stuff purchased at Circuit City and have received all of them - can take up to 60 days to get the rebate checks, but they've always arrived. Circuit City prints out everything you need to send to their rebate center for you at the checkout station and even the manufacturer rebates are handled through CC's system.

Keep in mind though that the whole idea behind a "rebate" instead of just knocking off that much off the shelf price is that there's a percentage of people who don't send back the rebate forms and then that's extra profit for the company. The rebate concept became prominent with packaged grocery manufacturers using them as a way of appearing to offer discounted prices knowning full well that over 50% of the people would never send in for the rebate - i.e., it looks like a competitive discount but you don't always have to give it like you would a real discount.

#17     May 20, 2003
  8. thanks... A/A

Ice:cool:

#18     May 20, 2003
  9. gnome

gnome

When I apply for rebate, I staple the required UPC, rebate form, and receipt to a photocopied sheet of the UPC, rebate form, and receipt. That way, the processor KNOWS I've got copies of everything. Maybe they will be less likely to give me the run-around??

#19     May 20, 2003
  10. It's not so much that BBY won't assist you, it's that they are promoting their own warranty/repair options. They openly say when you purchase items with them that they offer a "No Questions Asked" style of warranty. If you'll fork over an additional $XX they will replace your item should something go wrong and you have to return it to them.

I know it works, I just used it today on an item that I purchased for a client (Toshiba laptop) from them about three months ago. I didn't have to contact the manufacturer or play any other games. So while I can't address your specific horror story, I can say that this method did work for me. :)

#20     May 20, 2003