Chat Problems

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Baron, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Andre

Andre

Well, folks...

I've been digging around more on the chat issue. And it sure seems like we've found the trouble. The trouble for many folks is that IB TWS requires Sun’s Java 2v1.4.1. Yet DigiChat 3.0 (which is what we're running currently) does not support v1.4.1.

Well, a trader isn't going to risk their platform's stability (not to mention their P & L) for chat, no matter how good it is! So the only solution for us is to upgrade to 4.0. I've been to DigiChat’s site and in their 4.0 chat rooms using the Sun Java option.

So it appears that the upgrade will solve the problem regarding the Java conflict between IB-TWS and ET-Chat... they'll both use the same Java Plug-In.

Baron already has tested DigiChat 4.0 on another server, and has indicated he'll upgrade the chat room this weekend. However, he's a busy guy and upgrades seldom go as smooth as you like, so your patience is appreciated. But, it looks like we've got a solution.

We appreciate any comments and trouble-shooting after the upgrade. And as always, test after the close, certainly not with an open position.

André

#41     Jan 31, 2003
  2. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Great:D

#42     Jan 31, 2003
  3. corvus

corvus

In case the upgrade doesn't work, here's what worked for me. I did not have a chance to re-verify the steps I took...so someone should give this a go and verify it.

I use TWS, and I have both Java 1.4.1_01 and 1.3.1_06 installed on win2k. The key thing here is 1.4.1...the Java plug-in in 1.4.1 plays nicely with previous versions...not the case with 1.4.0.

Once I had both installed (1.3.1_06 first) and no browsers running, I went to start->settings->control panel->Java Plug-in. The plug-in configuration app came up and I went to the "about" tab to make sure I was in the 1.4.1_01 one and not the 1.3.1_06 one. Once that was verified, I went to the browser tab and unchecked both ie and netscape. Hit the "apply" button, and closed the app with the "x" in the upper right-hand corner. I then went to start->settings->control panel->Java Plug-in 1.3.1_06. The other java plug-in app came up, and I likewise went to the "about" tab and verified I had the right (1.3.1_06) one. I went to the browser tab, and also unchecked both ie and netscape. I hit apply, and closed the app using the x in the upper right-hand corner. THEN I ran the 1.3.1_06 app *again*, went to the browser tab, and re-checked the ie and netscape check boxes, and hit apply. Closed the app with the x, and restarted IE.

From that point forward, IE used the 1.3.1_06 plugin and not the 1.4.1_01 one. I then uninstalled TWS and re-installed it. TWS automagically found the 1.4.1_01 Java runtime, and TWS stopped complaining abotu not running under Java 1.4.

Note: if you use the TWS from IB's web page, you will be running under the Java plug-in that the browser is set to use...which would be 1.3.1. So, you have to install the standalone TWS located at:

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/cgi-bin/windows_standalone_tws.pl

Hopefully that will work for someone else too!

#43     Feb 1, 2003
  4. :eek:

#44     Feb 1, 2003
  5. Andre

Andre

A big thanks to Corvus for posting his method for using the ET chat room, and getting around the Sun Java conflict with TWS!

André

#45     Feb 1, 2003
  6. Andre

Andre

Folks, please check in with the chat room. We've loaded 4.0. It still works the old way, with the Sun Java plug-in UNchecked. But the good news for IB users is that with the Sun Java v1.4.1 option checked... you can now get in!

The first thing you might notice, is that the Sun Java option allows for sound. Baron had disabled sound in the past due to some conflicts causing folks to crash. So please let us now if this recurs. We don't think it will create the same set of circumstances.

If the sound annoys you? Yes, you can turn it off. Once in chat, click on settings button, and look for the sound tab.

otherwise, please test, and report back any problems.

André

#46     Feb 6, 2003
  7. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

When I have Chat on, it still chucks me offline then locks up my computer.
    Oh well.......

#47     Feb 6, 2003
  8. i don't think this is really a problem, but.. when i have the option unchecked, navigating in the open internet explorer window doesn't close the chat window (good thing). however, if i do have the option checked, when i navigate in the open IE window, the chat window will disappear.

also, it doesn't seem like my chat settings get saved when i save them.

not really a big deal..just letting you know.

#48     Feb 6, 2003
  9. Andre

Andre

>> when i have the option unchecked, navigating in the open internet explorer window doesn't close the chat window (good thing). however, if i do have the option checked, when i navigate in the open IE window, the chat window will disappear. <<

I noticed this too. It's got to do with the new java applet. With the new version, it's running from the page with the connect button. So you can't close or use that page and remain in the chat. I did like the convenience of that option.

However, you can still be in the chat and check other areas of ET. You simply have to open another browser window.

BobCathy... I'm going to have to reread your posts and see what else we can do.

André

#49     Feb 6, 2003
  10. Andre

Andre

>> it doesn't seem like my chat settings get saved when i save them. <<

Nope, just tested this 3-4 times. It's not saving it for me, either. When I leave the room and come back, none of my changes are there, I'm starting from scratch all over again.

Well, I'll just put this on top of the pile on Baron's In basket.

André

#50     Feb 6, 2003