Chat Problems

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Baron, Apr 16, 2002.

1. zxcv1fu

zxcv1fu

I have win2k pro & ie6. I can not enter the chat room. Please advise!

#31     Aug 27, 2002
  2. zxcv1fu

zxcv1fu

Never mind, I got in:)

#32     Aug 27, 2002
  3. Electric

Electric

I seem to have everything working this end... sending text etc, all the buttons seem to work... except no-one else is around, ... and no-one has bleated on this thread since August! hmmmm...

#33     Oct 2, 2002
  4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

The chat is active during market hours primarily.

#34     Oct 2, 2002
  5. I had to re-install Windows (98) and I now cannot log-in to the chatroom. I followed the instructions listed on the login page. Any ideas?

#35     Jan 15, 2003
  6. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

I have a problem with the chat. I have XP and a powerful laptop.
    It seems to conflict with TS and IB and freezes it a few times a day. If I restart it is ok.
    I suspect it is because I have to disable Java to run it.
    It is not specific to this chat room.
    I have the same problem with AOL, PalTalk, MSN messenger.

Guess I will have to set up my second computer if I want to chat? I guess it is about time I run multiple monitors anyway....:D :)

#36     Jan 29, 2003
  7. Andre

Andre

Folks, I've had some troubles getting into ET chat so I did some trouble-shooting and updating of my system. The good news is that I'm in. The frustrating aspect is that I can't explain why.

I had Win98 and IE 5.5 and use some combination of IB TWS, Quotetracker, AOL, Pegasus (Email), Excel, multiple IE windows and sometimes Adobe products or WSFTP... running at the same time.

The fact that I have IB's TWS, means I had the Sun Java option clicked. And no matter how many times I checked or unchecked, restarted IE or did a complete reboot, I simply could not get into Elite Trader's chat room.

I did a number of things:
    I cleared, cookies, cache and history.
    I upgraded Win98 security patches.
    I upgraded to IE 6.0.

So I headed back in to the ET chat room, and nothing. I was depressed. Well, I checked under tools/internet options/advanced for what Java was checked, and figured, what the hell, I'll try again one more time before I call it quits for the evening. I unchecked the Sun Java option, closed all IE windows and entered in again... and what do you know? I'm in.

So what worked? It could be IE 6.0. A pal who works in online community and does Java chats recommended IE 6.0. It seems to work fine on my Win98 machine. Plus, I had a whole slew of patches to Win98 that I hadn't uploaded.

When I went to Digichat’s tech area, I was able to get into their latest version using the Sun Java option, but was not able to get into the ET chat room. So, maybe the version we're running here doesn't take advantage of Sun Java? I dunno. Baron will be getting a call next.

The big issue, of course, is how does unclicking the Sun Java option affect the IB TWS? Right now, I'm up and running with it. I’ve not had the freeze ups that others have reported, apparently connected to Java issues.

André

#37     Jan 31, 2003
  8. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Yes Andre....unchecking that box conflicts with IB's TWS. And it also conflicts with TradeStation. It is an intermittent problem.... not great when you trade. I talked to a tech and I had to give up Chat......sigh:(

#38     Jan 31, 2003
  9. bobcathy

I've never been able to get into chat with IE but have no problem with Netscape 4. You may want to try netscape or even opera as an alternative.

#39     Jan 31, 2003
  10. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

ok...I will look into that.

#40     Jan 31, 2003