Chat Problems

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Baron, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Reasons why those services have that many users participating:

1). Chat is the only service they provide and therefore promote.
    2). They were doing this during the dot com boom and got decent press coverage for it, which has helped stick those destinations in a lot of people's minds as far as chat is concerned.
    2). They've been doing nothing but chat for over 5 years, which gives them a first mover advantage. However, come back to Elite Trader in 5 years and let's see how many people are in our room :)

Practically speaking though, it takes time to get a new service up a running. The reality is that people tend to gravitate to the destinations that have the most users, so just because you a launch a certain service doesn't mean anybody will use it. For example, if Financial Chat or daytraders.org starting doing a web-based message board like this one, odds are that hardly any of those 600 plus daily users in their chat room(s) would even use it, and it's even less likely that a frequent poster at Elite Trader would start using it.

We've only been doing real-time chat on a daily basis for about two months, so we've got a lot of work to do in this area. However, I am quite pleased at the progress so far. Two months ago, we had zero users. Now we have 35 - 40 in there during trading hours. If we can continue adding twenty users per month, that would be about 160 users by the end of the year, which would be great in my opinion.

#21     May 19, 2002
  2. just ran a couple of tests under Linux with the chat room software:

Java 1.3.1 works fine
    Java 1.4.0 does not load chat software

I believe tntneo said he had it working with 1.4, but that's certainly not the case here.

No big deal. Just proving info.

#22     May 23, 2002
  3. lovezoro

lovezoro

httpservlet address not specified

i am getting this error while i am using windows XP and the latest MVM ( microsoft virtual machine )

#23     Jul 6, 2002
  4. H2O

H2O

Hi,

I cannot get into the chat-room.

Tried the solution on this site without result.

System -
    AMD Athlon XP2000+
    512 DDR mem
    Matrox G550 DH video card
    Windows XP home

IB's TWS up & running

What happens is,

When I click on the chat button, some java screen pops up and loads, after it has finished , I get a button "Connect"

When I press this button, it reacts (goes down) but nothing else happens. After 10 seconds or so, the button restores

I can repeat this as much as I want but no result,

Anyone knows the solution for this ???

Thanks,

#24     Jul 10, 2002
  5. H2O

H2O

Anyone ???

(see previous page)

#25     Jul 16, 2002
  6. wild

wild

uncheck "Java 1.4" in your browser ...

#26     Jul 16, 2002
  7. H2O

H2O

I already did.... No result

On my old computer, I was able to log in, This was a win98 machine.

No I work with Win XP.

I have IB TWS up as well as eSignal. (Shutting them out has no results but ...)

Please help

I get the Login button, can press it (See in task bar : "Java Digichat started" but nothing happens (Button can be pressed as much as you like)

#27     Jul 16, 2002
  8. Andre

Andre

This is frustrating... all I'm getting is a blank screen. I'm using Win98 and IE 5.5. I don't seem to have the exact "Java (Sun)" option to unclick.

I get an ET Window with the navbar/logo on top, and a blank white screen with one grey "connect" button. And then an applet window opens, but it's blank.

The chat room is open 24/7, right?
    Not just at the time of the chat?

The options I have under Java VM are:

Java consol enabled (requires restart)
    Java JIT compiler enabled
    Java logging enabled

What's missing? The only one I had checked off if Java JIT complier enabled. Currently none are enable. I hate Java.

#28     Jul 16, 2002
  9. Andre

Andre

Well, Netscape worked for me.
    Still don't know what's up with IE.

#29     Jul 16, 2002
  10. wild

wild