Charts, level 2 or both

Discussion in 'Trading' started by pokerplayer2011, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Follow the herd over the cliff, or follow Jack out of the frying pan. What a choice!

#31     Dec 27, 2011
  2. Level 2 became pretty much useless over 10 years ago, when the "public" gained access. Much more worthless now due to HFTrading.

Charts are "ok" for research, not much help during the day unless you cannot watch the screen. We pay $5.00 per month for charts for this purpose. eSignal can interface with our platform, and some prefer this for pairs trading.

A good running T&S can help you with determining how bad the sub penny trading is in your particular stock at any given time.

FWIW,

Don

#32     Dec 27, 2011
  3. So charts and T&S only?

#33     Dec 28, 2011
  4. Be sure the L1 quotes and T&S are set to 4 decimal places so that you can see the sub-pennies. Charts are more of a personal choice in the end.

Don

#34     Dec 28, 2011
  5. And if we see the sub-pennies, what then?

I've read articles that saying the sub-pennies have something to do with hft front running the nbbo under the guise of providing price improvement, but with the climate of mistrust and blame regarding hft, I do not know what to make of it. I don't understand hft well enough myself to know if someone else actually understands hft when they speak as if they do, so I am at a loss when I read up on the topic.

Shed any light, Don?

#35     Dec 28, 2011
  6. kivd

kivd

Level 2 is the most important.

The books will almost always be teaching you the wrong stuff.
    Why do you think most traders are losers?
    Its because they read bullshit books.

#36     Dec 28, 2011
  7. BSAM

BSAM

P/V

#37     Dec 28, 2011

8. @kivd: Level 2 is the most important....

oh really!

that is very interesting.

it must be another divergence in the diversified trading methodologies again.

you wanna say that again and explain why you deem it so, pls? thx

#38     Dec 28, 2011
    #39     Dec 28, 2011
  10. trendo

trendo

Would Level 3 be 50% better than level 2?

#40     Dec 29, 2011