Charting?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by jasrlew, Jul 26, 2003.

1. jasrlew

jasrlew

Can anyone suggest a good charting and data package for index futures ranging from cheap to expensive?

2. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

For cheap, you can't do better than http://sierrachart.com/ ($40/6mo) with IB as the data provider (free). I've been using this setup since last fall and couldn't be happier.

3. Not the most expensive, but this combo is up there.

One thing, you get value for your money with this combo...which should be the correct quest.

Michael B.

4. These are the top of the line packages. CQG has thier own data feed and starts out around $500 a month, fully loaded with internation exchanges and all the bells and whistles it can get up to about $1500.

Aspen Graphics requires you to subscribe to a data feed that they are compatible with. Aspen Graphics starts out at around $400 a month and fully loaded will run about $1100.

5. I make out fine with TradeStation, $115 Month. I don't need a lot of customer service, which I have read here on the forum is not to good. If I have a computer issue or ISP issue, the Trading Desk always answers. Also, the moderators at www.tradestationworld.com are responsive and helpful.

I trade electronic Futures only, I do not have any advice for other securities.

6. Here's how my charts are set up if you want to see how it looks.

7. Merc

Merc

Do you need a backfill with this combination?

Thanks.

8. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

There's no backfill available. However, the data begins to accumulate on your hard drive from the point you first connect the software to the datafeed. After that, it's just a matter of collecting the data from day to day. If you plan on doing any backtesting, you can always do it elsewhere until you have the archive you want.

9. Merc

Merc

You mean that you have to be connected all the time. What happens when you turn computer off?

10. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

If you want overnight data, yes. But I don't care about overnight data, so I just connect to the datafeed when I get up and disconnect it at 1615.

It's $80/yr. If you want something more elaborate, it'll cost more.

#10     Jul 27, 2003