Charting System

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FuturesTrader71, Jul 7, 2007.

1. It sound like you have motherboard that work with all your video card. Just get a faster CPU and go to Nvidia website and download the Nview software. This software allow you to run as many video cards as your motherboard support. Save your money and just get faster CPU and more RAM

#11     Jul 9, 2007
  2. jho

jho

Yeah that would be nice, but it sounds like his current motherboard is a few years old, so it definitely isn't LGA775.

#12     Jul 9, 2007
  3. The machine is a Dimension 4600... I am not sure if a CPU can be upgraded without replacing the motherboard. It has gotten to the point now where it runs at 80% or so and gets choked up. Will check into what the motherboard can handle. Probably time for an upgrade, but it doesn't make sense to get a new OS, new video cards, etc.

#13     Jul 9, 2007
  4. nitro

nitro

If I were in the market for a workstation or server, I would get a supermicro:

http://www.malabs.com/search.asp

Call MA Labs and tell them your needs. They are extremely competitive and have good support.

Get a machine that supports two Quad Core Opterons. Fill it with one dual core [quads are out later this year per AMD], and as your needs grow, add CPUs with more power. Sweet spot is probably the 2.6 Ghz Dual Core Opteron.

Get a computer with at least a 1000W power supply or higher. Trust me.

nitro

#14     Jul 13, 2007
  5. As an update, I went with Magic Micro out of Cleveland, Ohio. I order an ASUS motherboard with an Intel E6600 processor, 2 GB RAM, 1 nVidia PCIe x16 video card and a case that has a temperature readout and a big power supply. I also included a Coolmaster (i think??) cooling system. The mother board has 3 PCI slots for the addition video cards to run a total of 8. I added my own DVD R/W, Seagate EIDE hard drive and mouse/keyboard. That seemed to be the most logical solution to the whole issue. The memory can be upgraded to 4 GB, but I doubt I would need that. The case also include 2 additional fans (1 on top and 1 on the side of the case) to remove any rising hot air in the case and any heat generated by the video cards (fan is right on top of the PCI slots). All of that for around $600 delivered.

#15     Jul 29, 2007
  6. Very nice. Asus is the best motherboard out there. Worth the money. Good luck installing all the stuff. Heh Nitro are you in San Jose? I used to shop at Ma Labs regularly

#16     Jul 30, 2007
  7. It is all set up and running already now for a week. Very smooth. The PCIe video card needs to be replaced. Seems to display a pinkish static off the DVI port on one of my monitors. A check of the cables, monitor, etc shows that it is the video card or PCIe x16 slot. A new card is coming in today.

It is amazing how much faster this thing is. It recomputes volume profiles, etc in seconds instead of minutes now. Awesome!

#17     Jul 30, 2007