Charting System

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FuturesTrader71, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Hi folks,

It has been a while since I have bought new equipment for my office. I am in the market for a new box that would run my CQG charting software. CQG is very processor intensive when computing studies, etc.

The system will be running 8 LCD displays. I have plenty of keyboards, mice, etc. I just basically need an actual box. No OS, no software, etc.

The catch is that all of my video cards are nVidia Quadro NVS cards that run on a PCI bus. I do not want these replaced.

I looked at the Dell PowerEdge SC460. It has enough expansion slots, but I believe it runs PCI Express. I am not sure if it will run PCI cards on that.

I am basically seeking much better processing power while preserving the components I already have (PCI video, ATA drives, etc).

Any ideas?

Here is what I do NOT need:

- Monitors

2. gnome

gnome

For any box/mobo, check the mobo specs. PCIE mobos also have PCI slots, but the number varies... 2 or 3 is common.

3. abruzzo9

abruzzo9

How many video cards do you have?

4. TOM134

TOM134

5. nkhoi

nkhoi

6. 1 AGP and 4 PCI... all dual head nVidia's. The system won't need any high-end graphics, so I would like to stick with these VGA cards because they have performed so well.

7. I guess what I'm trying to do is simply upgrade the processing power of the machine without having to go out and pay for a new OS, new video cards, etc. I would like to move up to an E6600 processor without actually buying a full package like Dell or others offer.

Furthermore, I don't want to go out and buy the motherboard, case, power supply, etc and put it together from scratch.

I want a stripped down system where I simply add the PCI VGA cards, transfer the DVD drive and put it to work.

I have not kept up with what is out there in the last couple of years, so I am not sure if this is available.

8. TOM134

TOM134

FuturesTrader71,

Try this free site (just need to register); these folks are more tech orientated:

http://www.techguy.org/

I hope this helps.

Tom

9. gnome

gnome

Well then, you don't want a PCIE mobo. They are either AGP or PCIE.

You need to look for a "barebone" system which will run the CPU you want + have an AGP mobo with least 4 PCI slots.

10. jho

jho

Ncix.com They have an American site as well, these prices are $CDN. Believe they charge $50 to assemble the PC. Might have to call them to do it because you can't select this motherboard in the pc builder section. You didn't mention hard drives, I assume you will keep yours?

ASRock 4COREDUAL-VSTA ATX LGA775 Conroe PT800 Ultra DDR DDR2 AGP PCI-E16 4PCI SATA Sound Motherboard
    In Stock 23274 $78.54

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 4MB Retail
    In Stock 19144 $279.99

OCZ Platinum XTC REV.2 PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-15 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit
    In Stock 19337 $149.99 (4-1gb sticks total)$299.98

OCZ GameXStream 700W ATX12V 24PIN SLI Ready Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black
    In Stock 18185 $166.89

Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower Gamer Case 900 ATX 9 Drive Bay No PS Top USB2.0 1394 Audio
    In Stock 21123 $119.99

YOUR TOTAL $945.39

#10     Jul 7, 2007