Charting software with volume based candlesticks

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by maxinger, Dec 5, 2019.

1. 2FT

2FT

You will need market data from IB or CQG for most Asian exchanges on Sierra. And again, if you are not in the US, it will suck for latency.

I have used IB data on SC in the past for some smaller regional stock exchanges. No comment on lag really. If it lags, it is because IB lags, not on the Sierra side. I actually plan to use it again soon-ish.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    #11     Dec 6, 2019
  2. Not worth your time to explore.

"Volume Bars" are just another name for "Time Bars". IOW a "1000 volume" bar is also "the time it took 1000 shares to cross".

Things can get waaay distorted when volume flows are very different... like the overnight vs RTH.

(You can PayPal me the price of a burrito for this sage advice if you care to.)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    #12     Dec 6, 2019
  3. ZBZB

ZBZB

IB is a snapshot feed every 250ms so should not lag when market is busy.

#13     Dec 6, 2019
  4. birdman

birdman

Maxinger ... Not exactly what you are looking for, but you might like to take a look at https://tlc.thinkorswim.com/center/...harts/Chart-Modes/Chart-Types/equivolume.html and

I traded with Equivolume charts for a short time. I so wanted to find a way to make volume relevant to me. I've tested several volume related indicators, but nothing ever really clicked for me. I know lots of folks rely upon volume a great deal, but for me, less has been more. I can be reactive to volume, but no quicker than reacting to price. Like everything else, I'm sure some folks can utilize it to their advantage. Hope you find a way to make it work for you.

#14     Dec 6, 2019
  5. 2FT

2FT

That's kind of the whole point.

Though the extremes of inter-session volume differences can justify different volume bars settings for some people. Eg, 5000 for cash session, 2000 for o/n.

If you use moving averages to trade swings intraday, then volume bars suit that application. I don't, but I can see why they go so well together.

Consider pairing bars built per volume, with how that volume was built... maybe the ratio of bid-given volume to offer paid volume.

#15     Dec 6, 2019
  6. maxinger

maxinger

On one of my PCs, I will continue to use esignal charting s/w.

On the other PC, I will use Sierra chart, and tap the data from IB.
    I think for start, I will get the Sierra chart to display those Korean futures.

Good chance to compare Esignal vs Sierra (which is much cheaper).

#16     Dec 7, 2019
  7. 2FT

2FT

Sierra has detailed TWS setup details. You have to follow them exactly. And Sierra support have a history of not being gentle on requests regarding IB data connection problems. However their new dislike for CQG seems to have taken their anger away from IB :)

I'll probably be joining you on the Korean index in spring.

#17     Dec 7, 2019
  8. Markets have some significant correlations to "price". You get paid when your play is "in tune" with price. Much less correlation, if any, to volume.

My view on volume... "FUGGETABOUTIT"! (I know... that's trading heresy.)

#18     Dec 7, 2019
  9. maxinger

maxinger

I am used to poor services from charting s/w providers and brokerage firms.

Talk about Sierrachart. When I open multiple charts, is it possible to have multiple cross hairs displayed on all the charts? Esignal allows that but I can't find that feature in sierrachart.

#19     Dec 7, 2019
  10. What software does NOT have volume bars in 2019?

Try IQ Feed and Ninjatrader. You can still use IB.

#20     Dec 7, 2019