Charting Software on Linux

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by peterchr, Feb 26, 2002.

1. peterchr

peterchr

I'm giving Linux Mandrake a try, and looking for some good EOD charting software similar to Metastock. Any suggestions?

2. peterchr,

this is not much of an answer, but your best choice would be a web based products based on Java.

Haven't tried on linux, but I bet www.wealth-lab.com would work just fine. I'm referring the the web version, not the stand-alone Windows Developers Desktop. Great product

3. Get the vmware client for linux and run a Win2K virtual machine inside your linux box for all your windows apps. That's what I do, works like a charm. Get the best of both worlds.

www.vmware.com

4. peterchr

peterchr

How is the performance? I read somewhere that Win4Lin is faster than Vmware. Any experience with it? Thanks.

5. Never used anything but vmware. Performance is kind of odd. Application performance in a virtual machine actually seems faster, I think because things are cached differently. It gives you control over priority settings based on whether the virtual machine is foreground/background, etc, which is good.

What seems slower is the interface. Mouse and keyboard is perceptibly slower, but you don't really notice it unless you're looking for it.

6. peterchr

peterchr

Thanks. Think I will give it a try.

7. noctavian

noctavian

There are actually quite a few charting packages out there for Linux. Unfortunately, most of these are just charting programs - no back testing, system testing etc. However, the price is right ( Usually free w/ GNU license ) and some of them have pretty decent charts.

Here's a few:

BB Stock Pro
    FreeMarket
    GreatCharts
    Market Analysis System

There are also a few more than the ones listed. You should be able to find these on the open source sites like freshmeat or sourceforge. If you have any other questions, let me know.