Charting software for Macintosh

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Raul641, Oct 6, 2006.

1. psturm

psturm

#11     Feb 7, 2007
  2. keymoo

keymoo

I also have an Intel Mac and have tried Investor/RT. I have run eSignal in parallels for a while and seems to work fine, although it's difficult to use multi monitors in parallels. Although i'm a Mac user I am thinking of buying a PC just for my trading and charting - the PC platform is the best for traders. Just face it.

#12     Feb 12, 2007
  3. psturm

psturm

You can get excellent charts and integrated trading on a Mac from QST - Quick Screen Trading. A free 2 week trial that includes realtime data for CME, CBOT and KCBT, plus Dow Jones and Reuters News is available at:

http://www.quickscreentrading.com

Sign up for the 2 week trial. For Mac and Linux platforms, use this link to download the software:

http://quotes.computervoice.com/webstart/QST/qst.jnlp

It is also fully compatible with Windows XP and Vista.

#13     Mar 21, 2007
  4. I have a MacBook Intel and I just run Windows over BootCamp. Yes, it may use up a lot of your CPU power, but unless you're daytrading you'll be fine, because you don't need a horse to run your stuff.

In addition, almost all trading software is PC-only. If you're serious about trading - and if you're doing any trading, you should really treat it like a business - then I'd invest in the right equipment. Even though you may not want to lay out for it, either download Boot Camp and buy XP or just buy a PC. In the end, it'll be well worth it.

I've been a lifelong Mac user, but you just have to use what's most readily available and that's Windows.

Hope this helps,

Pete

#14     Apr 11, 2007
  5. psturm

psturm

Pete,

Your comments about the Mac and Java are dead wrong. Apple has done a better job at integrating Java with the Aqua rendering engine than Sun ever did with Windows or Solaris. I would agree with you that many (but not all) Java apps have horrible performance and sluggishness, whether they run on the Mac or the PC. I won't name names, but I am sure there are others who could.

With that said, you should give QST a try (www.quickscreentrading.com). I have had many users who swear they would never try a Java app but _really_ wanted to trade using a Mac tell me this. QST isn't only for a Mac, but I use it under Windows, Mac, Linux, Solaris and BSD. I can tell you that the font rendering on Mac is smoother and easier to read than any of these other platforms. And yes, I am also using Windows Vista with Java 6u1 and the Mac still looks superior. If you are going to be staring at the screen for hours, this makes a huge difference.

I use Boot Camp, Parallels and the VMWare Beta. I can tell you there is no discernible difference in the speed or responsiveness between OS X and Windows XP running on Boot Camp. I will offer that I think the VMWare Beta is superior to Parallels when it comes to the "smoothness" when switching to and from the Windows VM.

Paul

#15     Apr 11, 2007

6. The right equipment depends upon the user. If you need to run Widnows, Paralles and VMware Fusion are just fine. I concur with Sturm that VMware is better integrated (speed wise) than Parallels, though I love COherence mode. I trade with my Mac and on have issues. Likewise, I have seen people create miracles in Photoshop for windows.. Though I prefer the mac.

I trade 24/7 via my mac (or at least when the markets are open.)

SO I think you extremely off base......

If I though my Mac was hampering my trading, I'd Go all out PC. But it just isnt the case....

But then again, My Mac runs windows. so......

#16     Apr 11, 2007