Charting/plotting daily P&L graph

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Dominic, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Dominic

Dominic

There has to be a similar products out there like "Traderprofile". I went to their website but they don't offer the service for CyberTrader. Yes, I could use Excel, but I'm looking for a program that really breaks down my trading like the above product. Can anyone give another firm that offers something similar or maybe a screen shot of your trading P&L on a graph from Excel Lotus etc so that get a feel if what I'm looking for can be done in Excel?

Thanks

Dominic

2. What ARE you looking for. Here's an excerpt from TradeProfile site...

* How well have I done shorting strong stocks in a strong market?
    * Have I been better at my day trades or my overnights?
    * What has been the effect on my P&L of averaging up and down?
    * Has it been better for me to go long a stock over its 10 day moving average or under it?
    * What is my record shorting gap openings up versus gap openings down?

There's nothing here that can't be done in XL, Quattro, ect. The difference is you have to enter the qualitative market properties you wish to track... XL has no way to know a "strong" market from a "weak" market, systemX from systemY, etc. That's what you pay for w/ tradeprofile; It can analyze charts and overlay your trades.

FWIW i've been kicking around the idea of writing a cross-platform C++ journaling program using a SQLite backend. For free! There would be charges for the modules that suck in trade data from the various sources. Mind you, it's just a thought, and chart analysis is not an option.

Osorico

3. Dominic

Dominic

"FWIW i've been kicking around the idea of writing a cross-platform C++ journaling program using a SQLite backend. For free! There would be charges for the modules that suck in trade data from the various sources. Mind you, it's just a thought, and chart analysis is not an option.

Osorico"

Please don't give up on the idea of writing the program!

Traderprofile would be perfect for me except they only offer those items through one broker at this time (ETG). They do offer an Alert service but I already have theat through my broker.

I know how to trade, but I don't know how to write or enter the necessary data into Excel or similar programs.

Would you have a file that I could download into Excel with the necessary items I would need to import my data so that it could be plotted on a graph?

Thanks

Dominic

4. Dominic,

There are a few XL templates available for free out there. I don't use any of them but the links are somewhere here in ET.

As for charting in XL, XL makes it simple. And while myself, (or your local adolescent) could write an XL macro to automate the process of creating a chart, I suggest just buying an XL "Dummy" or "Idiot" type book... just be sure there is a chapter on charts. It's not hard. You just have to know where to clik-clik-clik

Good charting to you,
    Osorico