Charting non-time based candlesticks with a time histogram?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by CyJackX, Nov 17, 2016.

1. CyJackX

CyJackX

Hey y'all. Using some constant volume bars, is there any software that supports "time bars" as an indicator? i.e. how long each bar took to develop?

2. trdes

trdes

Pardon me for not answering the question and instead asking one of my own, but what would be the advantage to this? or it's just something you'd like to know / have?

Generally speaking I've found should not base a trade on time but rather if you do find a good setup honor your stop and rules, particularly relating to ES as it has both power moves but sometimes will keep consistently dipping (kind of like today / yesterday) to shake weak longs out, when a proper stop can keep you from missing the upside move.

Just find your question interesting and was curious to know more. Isn't the point of non based time sticks because you're interested in a range of price action as to not be fooled by time and small movement to begin with?

Sorry if way off base here, just purely curious.

3. CyJackX

CyJackX

No, it's a fair question.

Constant Volume Bars are meant to take time out of the equation and evaluate price action based on units traded. However, visualizing it this way does throw out the time element completely, and there's no need to throw out that information. With time-based bars, seeing a high volume bar means something. Similarly with constant volume bars, my thesis is that whether it happens quick or slow is also useful. It's just reorganizing that information. I actually like to see time and CVB side by side.