Charting 3 variable data

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by DK_, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Okay.

How dense is this data? How many combinations are there?

#11     Oct 16, 2003
  2. DK_

DK_

130 combinations - 130 datapoints

#12     Oct 16, 2003
  3. Since I've never worked with bubbles in Excel...

this is a 2-step transitional probability matrix viewed from above

you can organize your data along 2 axis using a classification system for your x's and y's on one axis and your z's on the other.

the different colors in this overhead correspond to the probabilities in the key at the bottom.

#13     Oct 17, 2003
  4. DK_

DK_

Here's almost what I want. The problem here is that the coloring should identify the value at a point, not correspond to the z-axis :(

#14     Oct 17, 2003
  5. I realize now, I could put the same information I have in a matrix into a Bubble chart. Thanks again for this "How To'.

#15     Oct 17, 2003
  6. Yes, I've encountered this problem as well when trying to display three dimensional data. However, in the *.gif I posted the intersections of the matrix represent the peaks or valleys of the colored regions, whether those intersections occur in the interior or on the edges of the map.

#16     Oct 17, 2003
  7. #17     Oct 17, 2003
  8. smitty,

do you know, using the app at the link you pasted below, is it possible to identify the coordinates of a specific point on the 3d graph with some sort of cursor?

http://www.volny.cz/profipohanka/Chart3D_en.html

this little app looks great, my only question is in data sets with 1000's of combinations, it may be a little tedious to go back through the data to identify a specific combination deemed desirable from viewing the graphical representation.

am i making sense? ie, how do you go back and see the exact coordinates of areas in the graph you're interested in without reading through hundreds of lines of the matrix?

thanks very much for posting

#18     Oct 31, 2003