Chart Pattern recognition formulas

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Bouds, Feb 27, 2003.

1. I am just kidding. I hope to where a lot of these traders are at some day. Hopefully, before I go through all my cash.

#11     Feb 28, 2003
  2. maxpi

maxpi

Jack, I do the same thing you do but in the time domain. This works to some extent but recently a trader showed me some fractal analysis that projected wavefronts on the time domain charts indicating a near future point of price and time and it gave us information where the standard stuff could not. Could a chart be made with fractal as the horizontal axis? Or with a fractally adjusted horizontal axis? Some tech analysis on that representation would be fun to look at. Better yet would be a chart where the axes were so well done that no further analysis was necessary!! I could hire an intern to do all the trading!! Mathematicians ARE motivated by work avoidance!!

I'm going to give this some thought, adjusting the horizontal axis, maybe both axes somehow to increase the available information on the display. Not sure it could buy that much but worth a little effort I guess.

Max

#12     Feb 28, 2003
  3. corvus

corvus

hehe, never thought about it in those terms! :p

#13     Feb 28, 2003
  4. j0m0

j0m0

JH & Co.
    You gotta be one of slickest acts out there!

appreciate your thought provoking ideas...by the way

#14     Feb 28, 2003
  5. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

6. Bouds

Bouds

Thanks to all who have responded - as usual I'm very encouraged by the willingness of other ETs to help out.

Jack, your comments below

"Trying to get a response from the thread originator on the ROI ball park was about the same.

Obviously he is dealing with a lousy set of stocks to begin with and his backtest period is pure humor as it goes through the markets that occurred.

Can you imagine what would happen if he worked into delineations like market sectors??? "

Absolutely no idea what you are talking about here -

1. Not sure what you are refering to when you say "trying to get a reponse form the thread originator"
    2. No "backtest period" was ever mentioned to make it humourous
    3. Interesting to consider what your imagination would conjure up if I worked with market sectors

Having read your other posts on ET and clinging on to the belief that you are generally a constructive advisor/message poster, I am rather perplexed by the tone/content of the above post.

#16     Mar 3, 2003
  7. I will soon (about 2 weeks) detect patterns and in a few lines only not dozens of programming lines code (of course with my model if not so it's impossible to do that in only a few lines) for describing such easy pattern as triangle then what would it be for more complex one like Gartley (http://www.harmonictrader.com/price_patternsgartley.htm) ?

But it will be only the first phase and it will be easy. So the second phase will be to detect the pattern BEFORE they even appear that will be real FUN :D.

Perhaps I will program it in Wealthlab if the model has been precalculated by my own software then I just have to use the values in wealthlab.

#17     Mar 5, 2003
  8. If you get into the realm of anticipation, you are free to use the seven equations I made public in the early or mid 90s. They deal with anticipating three things: the turn at the bottom of a cycle; the BO upward in price; and the peaking values before the cycle goes into decline. One of the equations deals with removing institutional block trades which someday you will find eliminates most maths from working reliably.

The P, V relation is the source of all formations performance.

If you are not using volume in your maths, what you are doing is sort of futile.

#18     Mar 6, 2003
    Sprout likes this.
  9. >you are free to use the seven equations I made public in the >early or mid 90s.
    Yeah where ?

>If you are not using volume in your maths, what you are doing >is sort of futile.

Of course I have volume in my equations since it deals with market's law of offer and demand; Nevertheless as I said I can prove that volume has (numerically not theorically) nearly no impact on price equilibrium level so that the "free" market is an illusion since price can be easily controlled and as I already said it just confirms what Economic Nobel Price Maurice Allais said about the control of the market by some (not all of course) market makers thanks to real-time (he advocates first that real-time should be replaced by fixing so that it will nullify their control second that biggest hedge funds which have too much money power to dictate to the market are forbidden but he is dreaming the market has not being created for the mass people wealth :D ). So volume is useful for statistical detection and confirmation but if I use my model, volume is already taken into account into prices so taking volume into account SEPARATLY from price is taking it twice into account in fact but only in my model I don't talk for other approaches.

#19     Mar 6, 2003

10. Jack,
    I have designed a lot of indicators without ANY use of volume data.
    They seem to be useful to describe the main market movements, lag is usually 0 or +1 [I never post an indicator if its lag is more than +1 ].
    They are called "Breath Indicators" and they study the market as a whole. As you probably know, there is a strong [and measurable] directionality in the market and my study gives good results because of this fact.
    These indicators give a reliable picture of the market, help you to avoid crucial mistakes ang go against the market and, in last analysis, make some sure money from the markets.
    As for the future use, they will keep on giving valuable info, as long as the market will be directional enough.
    If some day the 50% N100 stocks are going up and the rest going down, these curves will be flat and useless, but, this day is not coming soon.
    Take a look, this innovation I designed is interesting, amibroker and wealth lab already include the proper functions to do the job and their users seem to smile...
    http://www.amibroker.com/library/list.php
    http://www.wealth-lab.com/cgi-bin/WealthLab.DLL/getpage?page=articles/DirectionOfMarket1.htm

Dimitris Tsokakis

#20     Mar 7, 2003