Chart Package for QQQ's

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by chamol, Jan 4, 2002.

1. chamol

chamol

I day trade only the QQQ's, between 10 and 30 round trips per day, using IB as an execution platform.

My question is what chart package would be most suited for this application?

I used Cyber when I started trading and I remember thinking their chart package was pretty good - but then I moved to IB, so I couldn't take the package with me. For the past year or so I have used IQ charts and have found them okay - but somewhat limited in that there are only fixed time periods such as 1 minute, 5 minutes etc.

I happen to want a 3 minute stochastic - meaning a package with a scalable time frame and have asked IQ but they don't seem to be going any place with it.

Also, it is a bit light in other areas, although very good value for the $35 or so a month.

Can anyone who just trades the QQQ's suggest a chart package I can use - IB's is not suited for intra day work. Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

2. If you have to have 3 minute bars, that will limit your choices. QCharts would be ideal for you but only has 1 and 5 minute bars.

3. chamol

chamol

Thanks, AAAintheBeltway.

My experience with a scalable package somewhat leads me to the conclusion that I could sharpen up entries and exits just a touch. I use the 1 minute stochastic as well as TOS to make a final decision, but find the noise generated sometimes is hard to discern from a true trend change.

I may find that a scalable indicator will only sharpen it a touch, but in my game, pennies count.

Thanks for your help.

4. Metastock Pro (real-time version) scales from 1 to 60 min.

5. chamol

chamol

Thanks, Sharps4570.

Have you used this package - if so - how do you like it??

6. IRAF

IRAF

I trade the QQQ's exclusively and also use IB as my order entry platform. I have another account with MBTrading that I keep to have accedd to Realtick. Although it costs $250 a month, I personally like RealTick much more than any other charting package. I find the datafeed to be very realiable and as you probably know the charting capabilities are rather limitless.

Hope this helps.

IRAF

7. chamol

chamol

Thanks, IRAF - I have not used Realtick, but have heard good things about it. Appreciate the suggestion.

Since a lot of folks now trade just the QQQ's - perhaps we should suggest to Elite Trader that they open a Subject called 'Trading the QQQ's' where anyone interested could exchange techniques, packages we use, results we expect per share, per day, etc.

What do you think??

8. chamol

chamol

Hi, Sharps 4570.

I called Q Charts and they recommended the basic package, as it has the same scalable time frames and all the indicators needed for just the QQQ's.

I spoke with Cynthia, and she was quite knowledgable, informative and even offered me a one day free trial of the package, which is great.

Thanks for putting me onto this. Think I will try it, then see if I can get Realtick to do the same, and then make the call.

Thanks again.

9. I use Metastock w/esignal.

It's an expensive combo, but it has become pretty stable and reliable over the last year.

I bog it down every once in a while, but I think that my fault, trying to open to many charts with to many time periods and to many indicators and tests running.

MetaStock is often frustrating, but does some things very well.

Charting and indicator building are good, system tester is flakey.

10. Eddy

Eddy

For information, on Qcharts, just type 3 when your are focused on a chart, and you will get 3 minute bars charts…
    3 will then appear at the bottom of the interval pop up menu..

Happy trade,
    Eddy

PS : I personally prefer (and use) the Esignal data feed together with the Ensign charting software (cost = ca 130 $/month, a bit cheaper with yearly subscription)

#10     Jan 4, 2002