Charlie Wright Needs HELP!

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Daal, May 2, 2005.

1. My post was in reference to your incessant need to bash anything with the word "trend" in it the moment that the opportunity presents itself. Although I do not specifically think of myself as a trend trader per se, it still rankles. Please forgive my display of hostility. Nevertheless, somewhere out there, there is a pulpit with your name on it. :D

Oh, and you didn't actually answer my question. :)

#11     May 3, 2005
  2. YTD Performance for 2005 nowhere near prior years....option writing no longer working.

#12     May 3, 2005
  3. #13     May 3, 2005
  4. Daal

Daal

Actually I'm impressed to the fact that there STILL a handful clients with money there, sort of reminds of the advice of not holding to a losing position and admiting your wrong.
    Also you can notice that they poor performance started at the same time the funding got bigger, which is probably one of the reasons of his failure

#14     May 3, 2005
  5. Choad

Choad

I don't get it. These supposed "trend followers" haven't banked huge coin with oil???

Sure, it has ups and downs, and that's the tricky part of staying with the trend, but these guys should have worked all that out...

[​IMG]

#15     May 3, 2005
  6. opw

opw

Maybe it is just like trading: as soon as almost everybody agrees the market can only go up, it will go down...

as soon as most agree trendfollowing does not work it might work

Long term trendfollowing has a history of not working lots of times, just like any other trading method... the results of one year or even four could be pretty meaningless in the long term...

I am getting more and more interested in what trend following has done to you... :D

#16     May 3, 2005
  7. ScaleOut

ScaleOut

..... just a normal drawdown when trading a basket of commodities. Nothing more, nothing less.

#17     May 3, 2005
  8. Actually, the risk/reward profile of diversified futures portfolio (as it's "officially" referred to) has deteriorated considerably last few years.

One turning point in time was back in 1997 and again after 2000.

The simpler strategies stopped working in 2000.

#18     May 3, 2005
  9. Hello:
    Since this thread has worked its way to the top. I will offer a comment (I don't thing it merits much more).

I think that all strategies require updating and maintenance. Also they require monitoring to make sure that when they deteriorate the assets of the fund do not dip so precipitously as to cause clients to withdraw. This is a matter of professional skill and attention to detail. As I have said before, I do not know Mr. Wright and do not care to. I simply comment on fund performance in general.

With regard to the issue of trend followers, I don't know that Mr. Wrights strategies are confined to trend following. If I am were a fund subscriber I would have more interest. I observe that there are markets that are currently trending, and those that are not. One has to fit the strategy to the market.

So I believe that the return a manager obtains is attributable to his or her skills in a general sense. It seems to me, to be shortsighted to attribute it to trend or lack of trend any more than it can be attributed to stubborness or being blond or having blue eyes.

I realize that there are many divergent points of view.

By the way, I continue to do my best in my own small fund and refer traders who are interested to the thread "Trading the FOMC Announcement" for educational purposes only. I realize that it will be of limited interest to the retail traders in the crowd as there are no pictures of naked women, trading rooms or cars, but there are charts and some comments that could help folks who decide to take up trading as a hobby.

Lefty

#19     May 3, 2005

10. i like the way you think !

:D

#20     May 3, 2005