Charles Schwab in talks to buy TD Ameritrade, deal could be announced as early as today

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Maverick2608, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Thomas Peterffy is 75. Charles R. Schwab is 82.

Interactive Brokers' market cap is USD 20 billion.

They both have to hurry if they want to spend their fortune.

#41     Nov 24, 2019
    GregorySG9 likes this.
  2. Palindrome

Palindrome

Yeah... but my point is why would Schwab want to pull the plug on TOS. That would make very little sense.

I would say that Redundancy in charting is crossing my mind.

I'm thinking Ninja Trader? Anyone else have any thoughts on what to migrate to from a charting standpoint IF Schwab pulls the plug on TOS? (unlikely in my opinion...hoping TOS makes it through)

#42     Nov 24, 2019
  3. imjohn

imjohn

I have Schwab's Streetsmart, ToS, and Ninja Trader. ToS is my favorite, but I'm not married to any of them.

If a day comes that ToS is scrapped or altered in a way that I don't like, I'll switch 100% to NT and look for a back up.

I agree with your sentiments, makes little sense to pull the plug on an award winning platform (#1 desktop platform 4 years in a row). I don't expect that to happen, but prepared either way.

#43     Nov 24, 2019
    Palindrome likes this.
  4. m22au

m22au

#44     Nov 25, 2019
  5. FSU

FSU

An all stock deal. Interesting. Wonder if that's good or bad for TD shareholders.

#45     Nov 25, 2019
  6. #46     Nov 25, 2019
  7. #47     Nov 25, 2019
  8. Cabin111

Cabin111

Below was for October alone...Let's see what November brings!! I think TDA may have been willing to do the all stock deal because of the assets under management. Like McDonald's making pennies on their soft drinks and burgers. Only a much larger scale...Assets.

Last week, Schwab showed that the free trading is paying off in terms of new client accounts. It said it added 142,000 new brokerage accounts in October, 31% more than the number of new clients added in September and a 7% jump from October of last year. The new accounts brought Schwab’s client assets to a record $3.85 trillion.

#48     Nov 25, 2019
  9. Interactive Brokers may also lose clients to Schwab in the US as well as in the UK, Germany, Spain and Switzerland.

If that is the case, we might see Interactive Brokers introduce zero commission also for TWS users (minus direct market access) and possibly also for European clients.

#49     Nov 25, 2019
  10. I seriously doubt any traders or hedge funds will go to Schwab from IB. Sophisticated traders know that free commissions aren’t worth the price of bad execution, and commissions are already quite low. IB has very good execution, Schwab not so much.

#50     Nov 25, 2019
    IB_CAM and GregorySG9 like this.