Charles Schwab in talks to buy TD Ameritrade, deal could be announced as early as today

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Maverick2608, Nov 21, 2019.

1. SteveH

SteveH

TDA has very high transaction fees for trading futures. No loss there.

#21     Nov 21, 2019
  2. If Schwab got rid of TOS they'd sink like the Titanic.

#22     Nov 21, 2019
    Zor_Champ, WS_MJH and imjohn like this.
  3. interdim

interdim

I'll pay a higher transaction fee for the safety and security of my funds. Besides if you do enough business and have a significant amount with a firm like TD Ameritrade, you can negotiate those fees down. Some of these smaller firms are very vulnerable, can be here today and gone tomorrow. No way am I going to place funds with them. I've seen too many come and go over the past 35 years.

#23     Nov 21, 2019
    tom2 and Cabin111 like this.
  4. imjohn

imjohn

I've extensively used Schwab's "Streetsmart Edge" in the past, and (to me) it was awful. I loaded it up today just to see what (if anything) has changed. Looked like the same old awkward program.

In contrast, ToS is a pleasure to use. Can be a bit heavy on resources, but I've had no issues. Runs equally well on Windows and Mac. I've tried charting with several other programs, and always come back to ToS. Whether or not it would survive a Schwab buyout is of course all speculation at this point, but I sure hope so.

#24     Nov 21, 2019
    WS_MJH likes this.
  5. Cabin111

Cabin111

You can always do your stock trading at Lehman Brothers. Do your banking at Wachovia or a savings and loan. I know it's your livelihood (serious day trading), but IB, Robinhood, and other brokers are still around. But, if something like 2007-2009 happened again, I would sleep well with my accounts at Schwab and Fidelity. Just me...

#25     Nov 21, 2019
  6. Do either of these brokers offer (or plan to offer) single stock futures?

#26     Nov 21, 2019
    GregorySG9 likes this.
  7. Cabin111

Cabin111

I will give one warning for TD Ameritrade customers. If this buyout goes though, watch your float, money market, bank, liquid funds. This is where Schwab makes most of their money. True story...I had $15,000. sitting in a Schwab Bank savings account. Schwab will fight you to get it into a money market fund. Big accounts, they will work with you. Small accounts...Play by their rules (think B of A or Wells Fargo). I didn't want to invest this money at the time...Market was hitting new highs. So I put it into a CD for say 6-9 months. It earned the going rate of interest at that time. But the catch was the CD didn't start earning interest for about 7-10 days. If you look at their CD options you will know what I'm talking about. When the CD matured, it took a couple of days for the money to show up in my saving account (which was and is earning diddley squat). It may be a couple more days before these funds ($15,000. + interest) could be reinvested into a stock, bond, or another CD. They earn tens (maybe hundreds) of millions of dollars from this. Yeah, they will make their money from the market makers...But this is a great source of their income. Also I see these moves and profit from it by owning some Schwab stock...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    #27     Nov 21, 2019
    MoreLeverage likes this.
  8. Overnight

Overnight

There is no cabal.

#28     Nov 21, 2019
  9. schizo

schizo

Regarding Schwab, aren't they rather conservative in their policy? I've always enjoyed TD and TOS for their accomodative policy. BTW will TOS be spared from the merger? What features will likely get axed if the merger goes through?

#29     Nov 21, 2019
  10. You could do that with TDA, but I haven’t had much luck with Schwab and with their non-transactional business model, they just not care that you trade a lot.

#30     Nov 22, 2019