Charles Cottle's Book -- Where Can I Buy It?

Discussion in 'Options' started by skadinkus, Jan 8, 2002.

1. I have heard many favourable comments about Charles Cottle's options book "Options: Perceptions and Deceptions...", but I can't find it anywhere! The book is out of print. Does anyone have a copy for sale, or know where I can buy a new one? Thanks.

skadinkus

2. Me too. Want to see how the author explains the "perception & deception" of options. I'm much interested in this book because the options part of CQG's manual references it several times.

Why not McGraw-Hill Professional reprints this book, or the author prepares an updated version? Or an e-book for downloading?

3. I finally got hold of the cottle book.90% of it is not appropriate for non floor traders since it deals with synthetics and dissection of positions but the 10% is worth it. I got it through an inter library loan. Went to my NJ library and 2 weeks later they located it in an Orlando lib and got it for me for 2 weeks.

Good luck

4. That's exactly the approach which I'm taking. Almost three weeks ago I requested an interlibrary loan for the book. Hopefully I'll get a chance to take a look at it soon!

5. All,

After lurking on the board for several months, I thought I might be able to make a post that would be of some help to you guys. Cottle's book is out of print, and he now works for thinkorswim.com (an online brokerage). His new company has bought the rights to the old book. He recently introduced an updated version of the book, titled "Coulda, shoulda, woulda". This book is available for free at the Online Trading Expo, if you go to his talk. Please let me know if you have any questions.

hardrock

6. Thanks I will take a look at their site. I recently received the book from an interlibrary loan and it is uniformly excellent with many real world examples, though a large part of it is aimed at a floor trader. Thanks again.

7. All,

There was an error in my earlier post, the book is titled "Coulda, woulda, shoulda".

hardrock

8. Thanks very much for the info.
    I've browsed over, completely, their website. It seems thinkorswim is a real thing. Professional. and competitive.
    I'll open an account there mainly for options trading, and to get the free book.

9. Just got "Options : Perceptions and Deceptions" via interlibrary loan. I'll check it out for the time being while waiting for the new edition from thinkorswim. BTW, does anyone have any new information with regard to TOS's services (good or bad)?

hardrock

10. I've tried their software (albeit not with real trades) and received the CWS book from them (nice!). I can't move my account right now as I have some open options trades that will have options expiring shortly. The trading platform looks to be the best out there for options (real-time quotes, greeks, and profit-loss on open positions), spread orders are entered very easily and quickly and the commissions are quite good. I can't comment on the quality of their executions, but they support best-price routing to all five exchanges or to the exchange of your choice (routing is NOT determined by payment for order flow).

#10     Feb 12, 2002