Charging ahead to push electric cars

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Banjo, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Humpy

Humpy

Just seen a programme on telly that introduces the electric car of the future

It's called a Honda Clarity

Just take in these facts folks and be converted

Uses compressed hydrogen for a fuel cell
    Costs about the same as petrol
    136 horse power
    0 - 60 mph in 9 seconds
    Recommended by Jay Lenno, comedian and car buff
    Range 240 miles on one charge
    Only emission water
    Besides the wheels only 1 moving part, so little maintence

here is the official website
    http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/

#41     Jan 13, 2009
  2. eagle

eagle

I'm sceptical about its success. People frustrated by traffic slow down and then have to spend another 30 minutes charging. Unless we really don't have choice. :mad:

Staying positive, the good news is that somebody will find new way/battery for charging less than 5 minutes. :)

#42     Jan 13, 2009
  3. I took U.S. Electricar public in the early 1990's...and, yes, that's a fully electric, AC drive (Hughes Aircraft/GM) Consulier. And, yes, that's me in the Santa Claus suit (no comments, LOL).

[​IMG]

This is the 600 HP Zap Lotus at the L.V. Car show. 0-60 MPH in under 4 seconds. (took Zap public in 1994, ZAAP pink sheets)

[​IMG]

My DC powered Zebra running in a Bay Area Environmental race sponsored by Bank of America. A younger me with my wife, LOL.

[​IMG]

My friend, Leslie Nielsen (actor, Naked Gun, Airplane etc.) down in Daytona Beach with a demo EV used in an MTV promo.

[​IMG]

My friend, David Zucker (Zucker Brothers Productions) with his electric car...he calls himself the "Davy Crockett of Electric Cars" .. Always very supportive...had our car in Naked Gun 2 1/2

[​IMG]

I've "dabbled" in EV's for years. ZAP has cool Electric bikes and cars...we were a bit ahead of our time during Gulf war 1, and the Calif mandates didn't hold in 1998. Our "deal" with GM worked "ok" and we sold a few hundred EV's to various energy companies around the Country.

The public hasn't gotten past the fact that 90% of their driving is less than 80 miles per day, and that their daily driver should and could be a plug in EV, and that their gas car should be kept for longer travel.

And, yes, I agree that Detroit never really got behind the movement. And, yes, I agree that we "could" have much (much) better batteries and fuel cells. I've met with Ballard and others over the year, in my attempt to help jump start the industry. Mostly in vain.

Oh well, I don't care who takes credit for helping with alternative fuels, as long as we get to it sooner than later.

All the best,

Don

(sorry, just noticed the thread...brings back memories, LOL).

#43     Jan 13, 2009
  4. fyshy

fyshy Guest

5. Banjo

Banjo

We took delivery of the Tesla a week ago. Drove up the coast to Santa Barbara over the week end, 90 mi one way. Takes some getting use to but a great ride. 100 mph on frwy for the ducks of it early morning Sunday.

http://www.teslamotors.com/

#45     Jan 13, 2009
  6. Quite a car....a bit out of my price range, but super cool. How long to recharge on 110V, or can you use a 220V paddle?

Don :)

#46     Jan 16, 2009
  7. hey don you any relation to that bright automotive company they just profiled on cnbc who is building electric cars?

#47     Jan 16, 2009
  8. Wow, wonderful to know that alternative energy is really picking up. Wish people could accept change faster. :)

#48     Jan 19, 2009
  9. CET

CET

People will accept change faster when it is economical to do so. Like it or not these alternatives have to be reasonably close economically to current options or mass adoption is highly unlikely.

The most humorous aspect of this whole debate is that electric cars are zero emission. Unless the source of the electricity fueling the cars is being produced from a lower cost source and lower emission source than current generating sources this one big waste of money.

#49     Jan 19, 2009
  10. Banjo

Banjo

#50     Jan 19, 2009