Chaos Mathematics Calls the top in the DOW

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by pandorasbox, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkd

jkd

The unmoderated childishness that permeates ET has exceeded my limits too.

It's time to un-bookmark this cesspool.

jkd

#81     Apr 27, 2007
  2. this wall street boys smiled for the cameras, and may have even juiced the journalists with some nice sounds bytes in order to put on the hypnosis/spell. but in REALITY: what the hedge funds know is that everyone wants quarter-end to look great. what the traders know is that oil will be "inplay" within the next 2-10 weeks. broad equity market PUTs aint cheap, but you can get in now if you focus on the obvious. if you are a trader the only thing that matters is "here", not "there", and "now" not later.

here = profit taking opportunity before price depression
    now = before oil related variance/correlation dominates equity moves

some people just are under the spell. see the light.

#82     Apr 28, 2007
  3. Just leave, i doubt there are many here interested in your self importance anyway.

#83     Apr 28, 2007
  4. are you talking to me?

better yet, let me ask, are you sober or drunk?

#84     Apr 28, 2007
  5. virgin

virgin

Kiwi_trader,

I recently sent a PM to marketsurfer regarding the downfall of elitetrader over the years. He agreed that elitetrader has radically changed.
    What do you see as reason for this ?

#85     Apr 28, 2007
  6. bgp

bgp

by everyone . :)

bgp

#86     Apr 28, 2007

7. You might look at surfer's threads where he is deliberately obtuse for one answer (his little trend following threads for example). You might also consider threads like the "highest paid turtles" thread where he adopts alternative ego's in an attempt to bait curtis.

Personally I think that mixing noobie traders and longer term traders (successful, unsuccessful, or retired like surfer) causes the ET thing. After someone has seen every idea twice participation in straight threads gets boring - I know I offer some real advice but it becomes a lower percentage. The interesting things are when clear noob's become stupidly arrogant in their criticism of:
    - something good (like IB)
    - someone who knows what they're talking about (like red_ink)
    or offer totally stupid advice to another noob (god, why do they do this? self validation?, cognitive dissonance?)

Then slapping them gently is a public service to others. And who can turn down an opportunity to do a public service?

People like JJ are an extra-special case of this, most posts set to maximum-level moronicness of the super-arrogant noob, such as his approach to this thread.

#87     Apr 28, 2007
  8. The other two causative factors that came to mind are:

- Impossible debates between proponents of one trading idea vs another. The political ideas of this arena that can never be resolved. These tend to be avoided in new boards but here there are great rifts with hostile natives on both sides.

- Multiple characters ... don't you wonder about the appearance of new personas (eg surf's cindi) with strongly formed and defended opinions? People seem willing to attack with these and avoid "ruining" their main personas by gaining too many ET_nemies.

In my most cynical moments I take the view that 96% of new people who arrive here will fail. We (the successful) should welcome them. We should help them as much as possible so that their failing will be a slow process. We shouldn't let them know that for many of them trading will be an expensive addiction that they will eventually go cold turkey from after they can't take the pain any longer. But I can't help myself and the public service orientated part of my personality sometimes lets this truth out (as Red_Ink did the other day). Damn ... I've done it again.

PS. For new arrivals. This really is true. Trading is seductive. You will try to become better. And like a computer game you will think you are gaining. But for most the gain will never be enough ... but then again, the pleasure of the game may be sufficient reward in itself. Good luck.

------------------------
    The things people believe in are usually just what they instinctively feel is right; the justifications and arguments are the least important part of the belief.
    That's why you can win the argument, prove them wrong, and still they believe what they did in the first place. You've attacked the wrong thing.
    So what do you do? Agree to disagree. Or fight. - C. Zakalwe.

#88     Apr 28, 2007
  9. [​IMG]

kiwi trader on his soapbox

#89     Apr 28, 2007
  10. Start a new one and "complain" faster, to keep it from getting out of hand. Deleting a few posts is easy.. but once the cancer spreads....

I need your help cutting down the weeds and picking up the trash on the side of the road. I unfortunately can't be sitting on the message boards 24/7 for real time filtering. On the other hand, if you guys use the "Complain" button, it sends me an email directing me to the post and I can usually get right on it. It is a group effort.

Thanks!

PD

#90     Apr 28, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.