Channel Breakouts? am i doing this right?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by antincedo, Sep 13, 2008.

1. vingbel

vingbel

Nodoji,

What are the longer time frames you use to determine S/R when daytrading?

For example, do you consider the longest time frame like the bear market we're in?

Or do you tend to stick to the last few days, then weekly, monthly and yearly S/R levels?

Also, do you trade of chart patterns?

#11     Sep 16, 2008
  2. NoDoji

NoDoji

What I've found is effective for intraday trading is to look for entry/exit points based on fast/slow stochastic crossovers at overbought and oversold points. For example, when the %K line reaches an extremely oversold point, then pivots and crosses the falling %D line on a 3-min chart, 80% of the time you have a perfect long entry. (Crossover at the overbought condition indicates a possible short entry). The other 20% of the time you either get a scalp trade or an exit with a small loss. The 20% of the time this strategy tends to stall or fail is in the middle of the day (the lunchtime doldrums), or when you're trading a stock against its overall trend. But if you catch it in the first or last 90 mins of the day, the moves are generally solid.

I use a 30-day daily chart for near term S/R levels, and compare to a 1-year for major S/R levels (although major support levels were broken all over the place in this market over the past couple months).

#12     Sep 16, 2008
  3. vingbel

vingbel

Thanks, NoDoji. Much appreciated. What setting do you find most useful on your stochastic indicator?

#13     Sep 16, 2008
  4. NoDoji

NoDoji

Vingbel, I just choose "Full Stochastic" from my Etrade chart tools and it displays both lines.

#14     Sep 17, 2008
  5. vingbel

vingbel

Do you know what they set both lines to? What the moving periods are?

#15     Sep 17, 2008
  6. NoDoji

NoDoji

No I have no idea. I just select "full stochastic" from my Studies list. I recommend you put in some settings on your system and study the charts to see how well they signal.

#16     Sep 17, 2008
  7. check my blogsite, ive post channel breakout stategy there :)

#17     Sep 18, 2008