Changing processors in a laptop - recommended?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brownsfan019, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Since I am going to be replacing my 'catch all' laptop soon, I started thinking about the processor in my current trading laptop. The laptop runs beautifully with a Pentium 4 and 2 gig of RAM.

My question is - is it easy to take out the current processor and put a new one in? Or am I just asking for trouble?

Just wondering. I've changed RAM, drives, etc. but never a processor chip.

2. laptops are highly specialized to the hardware originally installed. you would have a hard time replacing anything other than RAM or a HD. Also depends on the type of laptop.

3. dchang0

dchang0

Some laptops are designed for easy processor swaps, but most are surface-mounted directly to the motherboard. I wouldn't recommend even attempting a swap unless the laptop was expressly designed for the ability to do so, and even then, there are other elements of the system that would limit its performance such that a processor upgrade wouldn't really make much sense over simply replacing the whole machine.

4. nkhoi

nkhoi

it lays directly underneath the keyboard, make sure you loose all screws around the cpu, they are pretty small, slid out the old cpu take time to make sure you don't break any wire and make sure the new cpu is of the same side, right now my laptop keyboard is a little loose but otherwise it is still running.:D

5. Thanks guys.

The current chip will remain as is. :D