Changing Nickname

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by atorchio, Apr 27, 2004.

1. I have made a search and didn't find this topic.

Could I change my nickname?

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

We can only do name changes for people who only have a handful of posts. Otherwise, it's just too much labor.

3. How much is "a handful"? I have 108...

:(

4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

less than 10

5. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

That may at least partially account for the alias problem. Since signature changes are made through every post, regardless of when the post was made, why not the same thing for names?

6. Baron

Baron ET Founder

The problem is not the name change. Once I make a change to a username, it would be reflected on all posts that user has made. However, any posts of that old user that were quoted in the posts of others would not be changed. So for everything to be consistent, I would have to manually search for the posts of other members that contain quoted passages from the old username, and then I would have to edit those references manually. I don't mind doing that for people who only have a small number of posts, and therefore a small number of quoted passages in other people's posts. But when someone has 100, 200, or more posts, there are likely going to be a lot of quotes that need to be changed manually, which is way too time consuming to justify the effort.

7. I obviously agree with your last post.

I suppose I am left with the only option to create a new account and close the current one...

I'd lose current "senior member" status however...

Any suggestion?

8. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Why bother changing quoted names? Who cares? There are few threads that are worth picking over after the fact, and people who adopt aliases aren't likely to say much that anybody would want to look up anyway.

Or you could just drop the quote feature. TMF doesn't have it and they manage to get by. All one has to do is enter brackets and "i".

Incidentally, that would also help fix what is most wrong with Ignore.