Changing Habits

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by _eug_, Jul 31, 2019.

1. That's really motivational! Thanks for sharing.

#51     Mar 3, 2020
  2. fargone

fargone

I am not sure reading book will help you to stop such habit. It starts from you and your mentality. That is what you should be focusing on.

#52     Mar 23, 2020
  3. Andrea Wylan

Andrea Wylan Sponsor

My take on it is that trading psychology books are really interesting and they show us how important psychology is. And they even show us what we need to be doing. But to be able to change and actually do the things that are written in the book is hard.

I think a lot of the behaviors that we have as traders that we want to get rid of that don’t serve us, like chasing trades or not taking our stop, are rooted in childhood trauma. And this trauma lives in the subconscious. So a lot of these behaviors aren’t even in our conscious mind.

That’s why I am always talking about becoming more and more aware as a trader. Aware of your thoughts, your feelings, and what’s happening in your body. The subconscious memories and the traumas are stored in the body. And the more bodywork you can do like yoga and meditation and deep breathing the more you can start to relieve some of that trauma and be free from it . . . so you can trade with ease.

This stuff is pretty complex and the reason why trading can be so difficult when really it is pretty simple.

#53     Mar 23, 2020
    wrbtrader likes this.
  4. John_09

John_09

I am also of the same opinion. Reading books might help you a little, but at the end it all depends on how you imbibe the book on yourself.

#54     Mar 28, 2020
    Andrea Wylan likes this.
  5. rider20

rider20

I would totally agree with you. It makes you aware and prepares your mindset for things that you might face in future. They are really helpful.

#55     Apr 22, 2020
  6. Changing habits is hard enough, but sometimes very useful.

#56     Apr 23, 2020
  7. ironchef

ironchef

Really? Any studies to substantiate this claim?

Thank you.

#57     Apr 23, 2020
  8. Andrea Wylan

Andrea Wylan Sponsor

I would guess there's many studies. I don't really get involved myself with studies. But if that's important to you I would just Google trauma and basic psychology and how it affects Trading.

I just know from my own experience and my work with Traders the positive effects of working through childhood trauma.

#58     Apr 23, 2020
  9. ironchef

ironchef

Took your advice. Googled and found one article on it. The article actually said childhood trauma had an effect opposite to your claim: Made people less willing to take risks, not more willing to chase trades.

#59     Apr 26, 2020
  10. Andrea Wylan

Andrea Wylan Sponsor

Good then you have your answer.

#60     Apr 26, 2020