Changing Habits

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by _eug_, Jul 31, 2019.

1. %%
    Yes.I will borrow some thing from Dr Van Tharp's book because i know it works for me.[Financial Freedom book or maybe interview in Jack Schwager top traders book.]

[1]All miss targets, so you want to get better. Put it positive; + start aiming for center of targets + use plenty of practice......................................................................[2] Don use a goal of stopping miss targets; put it positive; but plenty of practice can be a key [3] The olympic champion skeet shooter , she shoots 500 rounds a a day, i never shoot that much LOL.

And he noted the best shots did plenty of ''dry firing ''also:cool::cool:, :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

#12     Jul 31, 2019
  2. bookish

bookish

"About" mental toughness (inspirational) or "How-to" mental toughness? After reading this book am I going to be able to do impressive feats, or is it a feel good book? Thanks for post.

#13     Jul 31, 2019
  3. bookish

bookish

Do you have a specific habit you want to break, or just in general / multiple? Buying several high rated books for the specific habit might be the way to go.

#14     Jul 31, 2019
  4. comagnum

comagnum

These are the books I have read & would recommend. The first book on the list had in my action the first day I started reading it to fulfilling my 'dreams' - it worked.

Do It - Peter McWilliams
    The Power of Habit - Charles Duhigg

#15     Aug 1, 2019
    vanzandt likes this.
  5. _eug_

_eug_

My issue is that some old bad habits keep coming back to bite me in the ass even after long periods of good behaviour, both in trading and outside of trading. I can only stick to proper behaviour for so long then something triggers me to a relapse type of situation (Im not talking about drugs here but relapse is the best term I can think of). It's like there is a deep rooted behaviour pattern that is very hard to fully re-program. Under normal circumstances I have the discipline to keep it at bay but when I am under stress or things not going my way I resort to the baseline behaviour.

I dont think discipline is the key. It actual behavior modification.

#16     Aug 1, 2019
  6. bookish

bookish

I understand.

This probably isn't it but behaviors can become linked to unrelated things.
    For example, maybe you used to eat in a particular restaurant on a regular basis while exercising a habit. You quit both, then one day go back to that restaurant and the habit returns. It can be less obvious though. Any trigger can reactivate a well worn neural pathway. One trick might be to make a calendar entry and once a year (birthday?) ask yourself if any of your old habits have returned.

#17     Aug 1, 2019
  7. tomorton

tomorton

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Stephen Covey.

After I learned his rules for time management, I went back to my desk and re-organised everything and never worried about workload again.

But actually, it contains much more than ways to be more efficient at work, its a genuinely a helpful guide through other areas of life too.

#18     Aug 1, 2019
    tommcginnis likes this.
  8. ElCubano

ElCubano

It could even come from another life time ago. If you believe in that sort of stuff. But yes from all my readings it all comes from childhood. Some things are being supressed down down down deep into the vault. Those needs to be addressed and released via accept , surrender embrace. Lol.

#19     Aug 1, 2019
  9. %%
    Great idea;journal or notebook, +full of charts if one like charts.

Also remember one gets a personality, prenatal/before birth. That means one will battle laziness +another battles overwork..........................................................................:cool::cool:,:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:.
    I'm a morning person myself, so i dont even even want to work too late @ nite . I may some times read, for fun late@ nite.

#20     Aug 2, 2019
    Nobert likes this.