Changing Habits

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by _eug_, Jul 31, 2019.

1. _eug_

_eug_

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any recommendation for books or material about how to alter bad habits. The books dont need to be trading specific but something that you found helpful in achieving behavior modification.

Thanks,

vanzandt and murray t turtle like this.
  2. LuRp

LuRp

So this book isn't about changing habits per se, but it's related. It's about mental toughness, and it's hands down one of the most inspiring books I've ever read.

"Can't hurt me" by David Goggins

Enjoy.

formikatrading and bookish like this.
  3. imjohn

imjohn

Switch by Chip/Dan Heath. Read it several years ago.

But here I am several years later with plenty of bad habits to fight. YMMV

wlnd likes this.
  4. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

Talent is Overrated by Geoff Colvin

5. Peter8519

Peter8519

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

A good summary on Youtube...

murray t turtle and fan27 like this.
  6. Handle123

Handle123

Get Hypnosis once a month for a year on your problems as they came from your childhood, these problems not cause by trading, underlying first developed another time and place. This helped me long ago and I still go 1-4 times a year for discipline and other areas of life I want for better life.

7. Nobert

Nobert

Have you ever tried - writing a journal and reflecting back ?

Words placed on paper , by you & about yourself - mental mirror.

vanzandt and murray t turtle like this.
  8. Turveyd

Turveyd

Tricky thing to beat, my bad babits keep messing up my trading too, I conquer them for a while, then they creep back in.

Need to trade on a deserted desert island, with no distractions or worries, or issues, just peace and calm.

9. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

If you want to changes the lens(es) through which you view life, I don't know of a single book that might encourage such introspection better than Thoreau's Walden.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walden
    I started reading of Thoreau when I was 11 or 12 years old -- started by hunting out the naturalist 'woodsy' passages, then focused on the 'raging iconoclast' passages (throughout high school:rolleyes:), and then in college, started really noticing the 'economy' passages. Much grist there.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    @TackleTrades and MattZ like this.
  10. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

I completely agree with @tommcginnis .

The lens(es) through which you view life forms "habits". And "habits" are synaptically grounded in a brew of nouns and adjectives, often times seemingly unrelated.

Personally, I read Eric Thomas and Les Brown books, and I take in Eric Thomas you-tubes weekly. I also listen to Joel Osteen weekly, for a different angle for my lens focus.

Here's an Eric Thomas vid... well actually it's not Eric, but one of his special guests. This is beyond motivation. It is about habits if one can understand the synapse.

#10     Jul 31, 2019