Changed to IB and now what?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by urrterrible, Jan 26, 2009.

1. I was trading with Scottrade and just moved to IB. I enjoyed some of the things Scottrade Elite provided and I think it really helped me make some money, but I am venturing on due to major slippage...

I have read a shit load of threads and I think I need a charting software that can also execute trades through IB. Am I correct?

I have downloaded NinjaTrader and Sierra Charts, I would assume I am on the right track...

I heard Quotetracker only updates its charts every 15 seconds or something like that so I was shy of trying them.

I just want to know if this is the correct next step after funding my IB account?

Thanks...

2. I talked with someone related to quotetracker and he mentioned it relays information every 1/2 second so I will try them as well.

3. I use sierra with IB data feed. It works great. There are some learning curve things with sierra but I totally love it. I have used it for about 5 years. you can use a front end like ninja but it is not necessary. there have been lots of updates to sierra.
    you can trade right from the chart and it runs through the IB traders work station or you can use the book trader.

good trading to all

4. Viper101

Viper101

Hey I use QT with IB feed. I've got it set up exactly like it appears in eSignal. There is a stock refresh rate setting.

I've got it set to 0.1 second. Its pretty good. Nothing like premium quality like eSignal but at least its free.

The alerts sometimes lag by less than a second but its still pretty good.

Regarding sierra, is that free?

5. Wanted to know if anyone used quotetracker with IB as there broker to trade mini S&P500 futures. By using a 3rd party software such as quotetracker execute a trade in a sufficient amount of speed vs. placing a trade directly through the brokers platform. Is there a lag in the fill by using quotetracker? vs. IB brokers direct platform.

6. Viper101

Viper101

No, its instant.