Change Your Attitude and Vocabulary!!!

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by RAMOUTAR, Apr 3, 2004.

1. exactly. very well said.

surfer :) :)

#41     Apr 5, 2004
  2. rgelite

rgelite

Great comments from you, too. Thanks.

#42     Apr 5, 2004
  3. RAMOUTAR

RAMOUTAR

...for all of the great replies, I have been further enriched. The old adage.."You get what you give" is so true, I got 10 fold. I began this thread after being disappointed by a "close" fellow trader's silly actions. Writing is a very effective and important outlet for me, it helps me further evolve as a trader and God willing helps others too.

Years ago in my stockbroker career I was introduced to NLP via an Anthony Robbins book. The replies in this thread resurrected the memory of my fascination with this philosophy. I'm very open minded and tried to embrace NLP, it transformed my life.

I'm not here to debate the power or lack thereof in changing a language to change an attitude. I don't believe in luck (good or bad) or coincidence. I believe my vocabulary, attitude and actions shape the outcome of my results.

For me trading successfully begins with being successful in my mind, heart and tongues.

Remember one thing...the definition of success is VERY subjective. Define success and then go for it. You'll have more success climbing the mountain once you have an idea of how high it is.

I defined success and then embarked on the journey to find it. If all goes well I'll reach the destination shortly after I'm dead and buried. Until then I''ll continue to keep a positive attitude as I "try" and take profits from those who allow their own negativity to get the best of them. I don't remember who's quote this is (HarryTrader, you there?)

First Law of Thermodynamics

"...energy is not created or destroyed, but it can change form and be transferred between objects."

If you don't think that applies to trading or life, sit next to a: positive person and a negative person (+/- meaning attitude, not profits) and see what happens.

My discipline will not permit me to be affected by a negative trader, my will and experience allows me to impose my positive attitude on negative traders. Hmm? The First Law of Thermodynamics? Transfer the energy or let it transform you, in the end it's your choice.

The greatest thing about mass cynicism is its byproduct of liquidity for those who believe in themselves.

Don't type....just think :D

#43     Apr 8, 2004
  4. Jai,

I am also interested in an alternative form of medicine, homeopathy, and from the persons desires and aversions you can often pinpoint the medicines that are required for treatment.

This is in other words the same as an expressions I first heard in the Philippines: "Show me your friends and I know who you are".

In fact the language people are using shows how they take their responsibility in life and hence their ability to succeed in trading or not. If they want to "follow" a guru and not be inquisitive then they'll never make the grade. If they blame everything around them for failing, the same applies. If they are not open to new ideas etc. etc.

However what most people fail to realise that they can empower themselves by changing. And this does not need to take a long time, but they will first to have to realise that they'll have to change. And for one reason or another many do not want to change. They think they are already perfect as they are. They do not want to look hard in the mirror and discover that they have some character streaks that is holding them back from fully developping as a person.

Peace
    :cool:

#44     Apr 8, 2004
  5. RAMOUTAR

RAMOUTAR

What an excellent post, thank you so much for sharing. I like the Filipino expression, so true (to me anyway).

#45     Apr 9, 2004
  6. RAMOUTAR

RAMOUTAR

Great post! "You must avoid these people at all costs..." Its amazing. Not only do you leave yourself open to negativity, but sooner or later the negativity of these people may even drive them to betray or steal from you. Whether its trading or life.

I've learned that there is a "very" thin line between loyalty and stupidity, loyalty becomes stupidity when it has a direct cost to you, money or otherwise.

Thanks Uptik2K

#46     Apr 9, 2004
  7. As long as there has been some interest in this thread, I thought I'd go one level up from transformational vocabulary and talk about language patterns and embedded commands.

A good place to start is pointing out and beginning to understand that the human brain has a tough time dealing with negation.

For example, right now, as hard as you know how, try NOT to think of the color blue. Nope, you just can't do that.

DON'T DO DRUGS!

This phrase has single-handedly caused more drug problems in this country than anything else. If you still didn't catch it, this phrase is telling you unconscious (where language is processed) to "do drugs". It can't not.

Now, what does this have to do with trading. Consider, for instance, how often you beat yourself up for various mistakes. Inevitably you say something like, "I'm never going to do X again". A much better thing to do is say what you are going to do. It's very simple. It's also incredibly powerful.

#47     Apr 9, 2004
  8. Cheese

Cheese

Bundlemaker, very nice little point .. that the brain can't not do; it can only do.

Also its easier for anyone to say he will not repeat a mistake (trading) if he doesn't know clearly what he should have done better and so instruct himself precisely then what to do next such time to avoid the same setback.

#48     Apr 9, 2004
  9. Very good point, actually in some countries this is taken in consideration when making statements about driving habits.

Peace:cool:

#49     Apr 10, 2004

10. very interesting, bundle. "don't do drugs" in a culture that is oversatuated with legal medications--- i can't believe those ads for the latest and greatest purple pills on tv---- is a plan stupid statement irregardless of the psych impact you mention.

"just say no" is another example of a stupid slogan. it should read "just say know"

surfer

#50     Apr 10, 2004