Change you can believe in??? Obama signs extension of Patriot Act

Discussion in 'Politics' started by phenomena, Nov 5, 2010.

1. WASHINGTON (AP) — President Obama has signed a one-year extension of several provisions in the nation's main counterterrorism law, the Patriot Act.
    Provisions in the measure would have expired on Sunday without Obama's signature Saturday.

The act, which was adopted in the weeks after the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks, expands the government's ability to monitor Americans in the name of national security.

Three sections of the Patriot Act that stay in force will:

• Authorize court-approved roving wiretaps that permit surveillance on multiple phones.

• Allow court-approved seizure of records and property in anti-terrorism operations.

• Permit surveillance against a so-called lone wolf, a non-U.S. citizen engaged in terrorism who may not be part of a recognized terrorist group.

Obama's signature comes after the House voted 315 to 97 Thursday to extend the measure.

The Senate also approved the measure, with privacy protections cast aside when Senate Democrats lacked the necessary 60-vote supermajority to pass them. Thrown away were restrictions and greater scrutiny on the government's authority to spy on Americans and seize their records.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-02-27-Patriot-Act_N.htm

2. 377OHMS

377OHMS

I noticed Guantanamo is still operating, both wars going. What did Obama change aside from robbing the middle-class?

3. <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2_U6WX98buk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2_U6WX98buk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

4. Madcow the carpet muncher spews so much spin and outright lies it's pointless to listen to her. It also doesn't help that she's an abject economic illiterate, and historically uniformed.

5. rew

rew

People who wanted real change voted for Ron Paul.

People who wanted the left wing version of the same-old, same-old voted for Obama.

People who wanted World War III voted for McCain/Palin.

6. Ricter

Ricter

When an article does not specifically contain anything negative about Obama, it's necessary to add something not in the article, is that the idea here?

7. Hello

Hello

I dont know what you read, but in my views the entire article was negative, and all he did was add another turd to the 6 foot 1 inch pile we call president.

8. Ricter

Ricter

I saw three bullets, two of which require court orders, and the third which is directed at non-citizens who may be lone wolf terrorists. *shrug*

9. You can't expect a self proclaimed marxist, communist, ex-prison guard to lose any sleep over trampled rights and curtailed liberties... Their panties moisten at the thought of it...

10. Ricter

Ricter

On the contrary, I probably oppose more "safety" measures than you do. But I don't see anything alarming in those particular three bullets. Of course, one could argue that the courts have become too invasive, so that the court orders will come too easily.

#10     Nov 5, 2010