Chances of an Ivy MBA??

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by showtime23, Oct 24, 2002.

1. can you cut and paste the articles or put an attachment in? You have to log in to read articles.

Robert

#11     Oct 25, 2002
  2. You guys are all wrong!! MBA's are totally worth the time money and effort, just ask "Mr.Market"...He's HUGE :)

#12     Oct 25, 2002
  3. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

Getting into these places requires top entrance exam scores, top undergrad grades, and good experience with connected references. School admission systems ask the question "what is in it for us ?" That is if they let you in what will you do for them later: donations, connections, placements etc. Being a trader wont stop you if the school thinks they will capitalize on their association with you - beyond the tutuition fees.

Thats the game: If you need connections or want to work in a large corporation then the MBA will be of use. If you want to be an entrepreneuer then IMHO the MBA is of limited use. I learned much more starting and running small busineses than I would have in even a top MBA program. My wife went to a top MBA school and I spent a lot of time tutoring her: Most MBA information can be picked up on your own without the 70 - 100K price tag and associated opportunity cost ...

#13     Oct 25, 2002
  4. The first thread's extremely long, and some of the formatting might have been lost in the cut and paste process, but I stuck em in a text file, just for you Rob :)

#14     Oct 25, 2002
  5. This one's just a reply by one of those MBA consulting services to some daytrader that asked about his chances for getting into a top B-school.

#15     Oct 25, 2002
  6. My MBA is from Wharton. I don't know what others do to get in, but this is what I did. I went to a career counseling firm and gave them a resume. I told them I wanted to get a MBA from a top school. They called my references and I got called back a few days later. They told me how they could get me in Wharton. The plan; for $9,000 they'd setup lunches with top execs that were alumni from the school. They'd coach me in what to say and how to get a letter of recommendation. For another $3,500 they'd have a tutor work with me so I would ace the GMAT's. If I didn't get in, they'd refund 1/2 of my money. I scored over 750 on the GMAT. I payed and played. They reviewed my application with recommendations from 4 alums. I got in.

The value? It helped me get a job at a top marketing firm run by an alum which I stayed at until I was laid off last year -- 17 years.

#16     Oct 25, 2002
  7. And now you intend to become a day trader!!!!

It's funny... But this is what I always thought.. There is nothing less rewarding than working for somebody else because at the end even if you are a genius you are at his mercy...

I worked 5 years for several companies and it was always the same story. Moreover, when you are a foreigner you are to work harder than the others...

Today, I will never want to work for a comapny again. I prefer to work for myself and be my own master...

Markets are may be tough but there are huge opportunities for those who are able to put the time and work hard...

There is no secret .. Work as hard as you can. It is the only way to be in the top 5% of traders...

#17     Oct 25, 2002
  8. I have an MBA from Wharton and have had a great job for the past 15 years. I think getting a Wharton MBA was the best thing I could have done for my career.

http://members.aol.com/ebarsamian

#18     Oct 25, 2002
  9. Not sure why you find this funny. You get out of life what you put into it. People have different priorities. Some people (like some of those on this thread) chose to go to B-School while they were younger for the experience and *wanted* to work in the corporate world for whatever reason only *they* need to understand. Just because you were miserable in the corporate world, does not mean everyone is. I have friends that absolutely love it, and I have friends that absolutely hate it. What does that prove? Nothing. Sometimes, the reward is in the work itself, regardless of whose "mercy" you're at. The market will always be there for you to trade. Other things in life, there are time limitations for. Try getting into B-school or working your way up the corporate ladder when you're 40. Good luck.

I just find bashing of people's decisions in life to be generally distasteful. Bashing of MBAs on here, and bashing of Day Traders on the MBA forums. I see no difference, do you? Other than the different backgrounds and priorities in life, it's all the same narrow-minded thinking.

#19     Oct 25, 2002
  10. I know many people with a top MBA wharton included that were sucked and fired in the last 2 years...

It is a plus for your career but in trading it brings zero nothing you learn nothing with this degree ... just blablabla..

My point of view of course. But of course, for your career it is a plus... But it really depends on your personality. if you are a guy that likes corporate politics then this is certainly a good investment when the economy is booming. But for somebody that loves being independant then this is just worthless...

Of course I repect the guys that study hard to obtain that degree but I think that the end just does not worth it..

#20     Oct 25, 2002