Challenge to Dan Zanger's results

Discussion in 'Trading' started by fxpeculator, Jun 4, 2005.

Is Dan Zanger a "Great Trader"

1. Yes, he has the World Record

87 vote(s)
    41.4%
  2. No, He is Inflated, record has alpha problems

39 vote(s)
    18.6%
  3. Who in the hell is Dan Zanger?

84 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. neke

neke

OK, this guy took 11,000 to 18,000,000 in 18 months in the bull market of 1999/early 2000. This gives us a monthly compounded rate of 51%, or annual multiplier of 138 fold. That reminds me of a stock that rose 500 times in one-year period at that time, called Excelera (XLA). It rose 500 times between March 1999 and March 2000 (The stock is no more quoted, but if you look for historical information, you should find it). Such was the craze of those days. Adding margin of course boosted those returns enormously. Does not take away from his performance. But it is good to know the period in question.

#31     Apr 24, 2007
  2. virgin

virgin

yep, what are his results for each year after 2000 ?

#32     Apr 25, 2007
  3. It always amazes me how many traders rush to bash another's successful performace even when well documented and scruitinized.

So Mr. Zanger created his wealth in a bull market -- were you not trading the same bull market? Perhaps not. Well don't you worry, another will be coming your way. I am sure 40 mil is waiting for you there.

So he leveraged his account, it takes guts, nerves and skill to do. You have the same leverage. Probably a better set up as technology has only improved. Go for it. 40 mil is waiting for you no doubt.

In an interview I read with him recently he claims to have washed out many times, and spent painstaking hours researching and testing his method. And one day, at the right time in the right place it came together. Apparently this is a crime.

Congratulations, Mr. Zanger. We should all be so "lucky".

#33     Oct 13, 2007
  4. P.S. In case you can't do the math -- he doesn't need results after 2000. He doesn't need to trade another stock, ever again.

I would worry about your own results. That's where your success or failure really lies.

It's between you and the market. Zanger had his time up against it. You have yours.

You.

And the market.

Go at it.

#34     Oct 13, 2007
  5. I like Zanger's setups, but his trading methodolgy is suspect. My biggest problem is with his risk management technique. Arbitrarily setting 1 to 2 dollar is too simplistic.

#35     Oct 13, 2007
  6. I have never heard of this cat. But there is no way he turned $11K into that much money, if I'm reading this right. His web link lists his 1999 biggest winners--
    AFFX bought at $112!, Ask Jeeves bought @ $67, ATHM (remember that one!) Bought at $50, Ebay bought at $95, RBAK bought at $87... All the leverage you could get and I don't know a way to get much past 10X without getting arrested I don't see how this adds up. These are not cheap stocks he could of afforded about 300 shares of each then X 10 your still making a million great but...The auditing house is highly suspect.

Maybe he used all options? Any way that period will never return again so lets not count it. I know quite a few internet start up boys and gals- some cashed out some didn't, it's still one of the weirdest moments in our history... all the annoying ones seemed to get the money, or maybe it's the money that makes them annoying.

Dans recent recommendations are a boring, sorry ass lot of stocks so obviously his entry price points can't be beat. And indeed there is a lucrative market there in channeling stocks knowing where to buy and sell certain ones, it can lead to great returns..

But you always end up with the attitude this company is only so good the market that strong, it's probably wise method but when taxes are figured in... The folks I work with, god bless them, they really do try to hold things for the LT capital gain; they have the best of portfolio building intentions. I just make it very difficult for them. ~ stoney

~stoney

#36     Oct 13, 2007
  7. Htrader

Htrader Guest

Dan Zanger is for real. There was thread a while back talking about how Zanger cleared like another 20mil in 2005 by being long a boatload of goog and holding it all year long.

#37     Oct 13, 2007

8. Dan Zanger made something like $42,000,000 . Now that is great in my book. I can't come close to his high flying momentum plays. The guy makes 200%, 300% on stocks like BIDU, WYNN etc.

Cutting down a guy like that is mean spirited and petty. I look forward to joining his momentum plays. Hope I can increase my monthly returns ( which is not that easy)

#38     Oct 14, 2007

9. Leave to where? Tahiti? Acapulco, Bangkok?

#39     Oct 14, 2007
  10. Ummmm, excuse me but, do you think it's possible Mr. Zanger (to you) "Dan da Man" (to the rest of us) learned a FEW TRICKS on his way to $40 MIL?

I respect Dan, (Mr. Zanger to you) for what he has accomplished. As a matter of fact I am envious at the "Cajones" it took to trade those kinds of bucks. Can YOU imagine laying a couple MIL on the line on a trade? Can you imagine what a bad day must be like? Ya wanna talk ups and downs dude Dan has had them and he is a wealthy survivor. I am sure all of us could learn a few tricks from him.

Congrats to Dan Zanger for surviving and prospering in this tough business.

#40     Oct 14, 2007