CFA+ work experience of Msc in Finance?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by eligibleIM, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Hello!

I would like to ask you for some career advice..

I am a recent engineering Graduate from a European engineering school. My degree was Energy engineering 5 years.

I have been working since September in a medium sized commercial Bank (balance sheet of 37 bil EUR) in continental Europe. I work in the Sales dept, in the Loan Syndication Team. We deal with Loans to Corporate clients and Public Enterprizes. We either buy or sell Loan Participations to/from other commercial/investment banks.

I like my job, but my dream career would be a Trader or an Investment Manager

The good thing about my current job is that I am in the front office and we have a lot of contacts with other European Commercial and Investment Banks. The bad thing is that most of our financings are plain vanilla, and only rarely we have structured financings.

I have 2 options:

1) Continue my current job for 2 years and at the same time study for CFA Level I and II, and potentially also for CAIA. Then I could go for an MBA or for a Master of Finance where work experience is required (such as the LBS Master of Finance).
    2) Second option is to Quit my job in May and start a one year Msc in Finance at a European Univ. such as Warwick, IE, Esade, where no work experience is required and then look for a new job. These programs are designed for graduates with little or no work experience. At the same time I could do the CFA as well.

Which one of the 2 Options would you suggest?

What would be the best way to increase my chances to land on a dream job of Trader Investment Manager ?

Thanks a lot for your answers in advance!!

2. Ask the Market - it'll give you the right answer.

3. You should start a poll and let us vote for your future direction. :p