CFA vs MBA??

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by jack5, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Anybody knows the percentage of CFA charterholders that passed all three exams in the minimum 3 years, without failing?

#31     May 29, 2004
  2. BigMike

BigMike

The top tier MBA programs include much of the CFA Level I and II materials in their investment classes and prepare you to take the exams while in grad school. Several of my classmates took and passed both levels during their MBA stints. I wish that I would have known this and followed along. I'm sure it is also easier to study for and take the exams while you are in the "academic mode" as well. I also recall that the textbooks noted and marked each end-of-chapter-question that was also a CFA exam question and told you what level it was from.

I have also seen the curriculum at non-top 20 schools (ok, two of them), and while the textbooks may be the same, the classes themselves will NOT prepare you for the exam.

That is all.

BigMike

#32     May 29, 2004
  3. A top MBA opens more doors, but the moment you start trading for yourself it's irrelevant...

A CFA has got more financial content, but unless you are trading fundamentals its pretty much irrelevant...

#33     May 30, 2004
  4. You mean...
    since this is a traders' forum, we have been discussing whether angels are gals or guys?
    :D

#34     May 30, 2004
  5. mkaay

mkaay

When I graduate in Spring 2005 I will have a BS and MS in Accounting. My original plan was to apply for a MBA school in the city (NY). However, since I will have problems financing such a degree, I changed my plan to, instead, go for the CFA and maybe work as a trainee meanwhile. My question is: If I already have a Master, is it really worth going for a MBA as well?

#35     May 31, 2004
  6. Mecro

Mecro

Hope you cramming.

#36     May 31, 2004
  7. On average, candidates who complete their CFA have sat for ~4.5 exams. Yes, on average earning a CFA takes longer than an MBA. That is, assuming you finish!

I sat for five. Sometimes it takes that long when you are working twelve hour days. No regrets.

#37     May 31, 2004
  8. You should have at least given them an option that was feasible.

Take Level 1 in December 2004
    Take Level 2 in June 2005
    Take Level 3 in June 2006
    :)

#38     Jun 1, 2004
  9. Does anybody recommend the LIFA designation instead of CFA.
    LIFA is offered by International Research Association in MA. They have the same curriculum as the CFA. I am in an IT profession with an MBA looking to get into a Finance/IT combination career. I have passed the CFA level I but since I heard of the LIFA I am inclined to take this, since you don't have to retake the entire exams if you fail any particular subject, just that one. Would this help me to get in. Does it have industry recognition. Any recommendations? Thx

#39     Jun 1, 2004
  10. Just curious - where did you get stat of 4.5 times?

Also, as a CFA charterholder, the sixth hour of level 2 or 3 was far more challenging than any test during my MBA. Also, I am not aware of an MBA program that tests on an annual cumulative level.

#40     Jun 2, 2004