CFA - Is it Worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Churn4Fun, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Yes, I did some study about it, i think it is worthwhile if you don't want to be daytrader or believe can't make it on your own and intend working for others.

CFA will help you with longer timeframe analysis and ur marketability, But there are Hundreds of thousand CFA candidate these days, as result 3-4 years work experiance needed today either self-account or working for others.

It's long and tough way ahead, you have to think realistically not beyond your ability, most CFA candidate don't trade or work half day only, it takes most guys at least 3 to 4 years.

The big answer here is FREE TIME , Do you have it?

#11     Nov 13, 2006
  2. RCMLLC

RCMLLC

If you desire to only work for others, then maybe it is worth it if you are still young (mid 20's). If you desire to run your own show, I would rather use the time to build your biz. Look around and you will see plenty of HF managers without CFA.

Also, bear in mind that CFA is very watered down right now. You have other countries minting CFAs left and right and analytic work can be offshored easily. It might take you 3 -4 years to get the designation, and by that time I think it will be even more watered down.

#12     Nov 13, 2006
  3. timmyz

timmyz

see what i mean?

#13     Nov 13, 2006
  4. Eazy E

Eazy E

The CFA charter doesn't really address issues in trading as it focuses on research and investment management.

A suggestion might be to sit down and figure out for yourself whether you want to be a trader or a money/portfolio manager.

As most of the previous posts have pointed out, there are significant hours to put in. Do NOT underestimate the effort required; this has cost me more than a few years of wasted time and money.

It hasn't helped me with my trading :( but has opened doors on the investment management side :)

#14     Nov 13, 2006
  5. Here in Canada you need a CFA to become an institutional trader, wth? I really want to become a institutional traders but the time to get the CFA is insane. Also what's this watered down business, will you be able to actually get a job with a CFA?

#15     Nov 13, 2006
  6. fwiw, my friends who are pursuing the CFA are already working for large funds. They didn't need the CFA to open the door, and now they have the fund's sponsorship (financially) helping in their CFA quest.

I'm still trying to decide if the CFA would be more valuable to me vs the MBA. I would prefer to have both some day, I'm just not sure which one is the more logical to approach first.

#16     Nov 13, 2006
  7. I would get an MBA first, that would help you get in the door with a good firm and while you're in business school apply to programs like this one http://www.blackstone.com/careers/campus-recruting.html

#17     Nov 13, 2006
  8. Thanks, that was the plan. I just spent 18 months with the wrong firm, they offered full grad after 1 year of tenure, then cut the deal 8 months in. I've recently switched jobs, now just trying to decide between a part-time evening MBA program and working full-time vs quitting and doing the MBA full-time (and watching my income/savings/trading profits all vanish).

#18     Nov 13, 2006
  9. ttt.....any other advise or input?

#19     Nov 16, 2006
  10. ttt....thought I'd resurrect this thread for any additional input. I haven't started anything, but I'd like to add a designation or credential to the resume "just in case".

Anyone have any input, experience as a CFA, and/or whether it's helped to propel your career?

#20     Dec 16, 2006