CERN Discovers Neutrinos That Travel Faster Than Light... FTL Possible

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CoolTraderDude, Sep 24, 2011.

1. So with that in mind, perhaps we now understand CERN and the desperate desire to travel faster than light. To reverse time of course. However, as proven in my prior posts on this thread, reversing time is impossible.

Relativity and E=mc2 were interesting thought experiments as Einstein was formulating a model of reality. However, where is time in that equation? Speed of light constant? Nope. Red-shift/blue-shift proves that, but you'll have to think about that to understand the measurement. Here's a question that can provide some insight on the above point:

Is water a wave or a particle? What is the frequency and wavelength of moving water?

#31     Sep 26, 2011
  2. Here's another possible Trivial Pursuit (anti-Boomer edition) question:

What scientist originated the ideas of frequency and wavelength and what experiment was he/she performing:

Answer:
    I do not know the answer, but know that it is highly significant. My theory is the transcriptionist of the lab notes didn't understand the experiment. The original scientist was likely murdered so the transcriber could steal his/her idea. Pretty sure. That is how most of science and innovation works. Way of the world.

#32     Sep 26, 2011
  3. If what these guys are saying were true, the three Earth based labs which existed in the 1980's would not have recorded neutrinos at the same time when we witnessed the super nova. Those neutrinos would have had to arrive > 4 years earlier and they all got here at the same time as the light. Case closed.

#33     Sep 26, 2011
  4. nitro

nitro

I wonder if you guys can read:

1) The neutrinos from 1987A DID arrive quite a bit sooner than the photons because the photons had to work their way through all the collisions with other matters whereas neutrinos interact very weakly with matter.

2) Even if what you are saying is true, every reputable article linked to clearly explains that the 1987A neutrinos were electron-neutrinos and not muon-neutrinos like the ones at CERN, one being of much higher energy, where these sorts of things may be expected to show.

What is funny is that you think that a one sentence can refute people that do this sort of thing for a living. Of course, on the internet every one is allowed an opinion - just like everyone has an asshole, everyone has an opinion. You should be taking notes instead of making a complete ass of yourself.

#34     Sep 26, 2011
  5. Neutrino
    Who's there?
    Knock-knock.

#35     Sep 26, 2011
  6. nnfx

nnfx

Haha, man get some proper education...dont take info from part-time wannabe experts. Case closed.

#36     Sep 27, 2011
  7. A few hours is not "quite a bit" when by the CERN numbers it should have been 15 years. You explained it right there - the photons are deflected while the neutrinos are not. They both travel at the same velocity. Neutrinos take a direct path through matter while photons do not.

#37     Sep 27, 2011
  8. jem

jem

I am really laughing.
    I am not sure if that is an update of an old physics joke... but that is great.

As I was reading this I was thinking about star trek voyager and the captains explanation of "time mechanics". About effects that can sometimes come before the causes.

#38     Sep 27, 2011
  9. Multiple time distortions. Cheating. Can explain the rest. True though.

#39     Sep 28, 2011
  10. They took a shortcut.

#40     Sep 28, 2011